Good references on Feynman diagrams

In summary, "A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in Many-Body Physics" by Richard Mattuck is a highly recommended book for anyone studying quantum field theory. It provides a comprehensive explanation of Feynman diagrams and their relation to heavy duty mathematics. Another useful book is Peskin and Schroeder's "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory", which covers the basics of Feynman diagrams and their practical application. Both books are readily available and highly readable.
rick1138
I'm looking for some excellent references on Feynman diagrams, from an overview of the basics to a description of the relation between the diagrams and the heavy duty mathematics that they represent. Any information would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peskin and Schroeder's Introduction to Quantum Field Theory does this really well in the first three chapters. First they give the rules, with just a light motivation so you can learn them quickly, then they give a somewhat deeper motivation, so you learn the practical aspect of the math, and calculate cross sections and stuff, and finally they give you the deep (and very complex) explanation, so you can derive the math for yourself. If you make it that far, whatever else you may understand about QFT, you really know how to work with Feynman diagrams and get reslults.

Originally posted by rick1138
I'm looking for some excellent references on Feynman diagrams, from an overview of the basics to a description of the relation between the diagrams and the heavy duty mathematics that they represent. Any information would be appreciated.

The best book that I can recommend is Richard Mattuck's "A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in Many-Body Physics". This book was my life-saver while I was in graduate school. While the book is geared towards those in condensed matter physics, it is actually quite useful for everyone who is studying quantum field theory in general. It is VERY readable, and he tries very hard to explain stuff IN WORDS. Not only that, it is now a Dover book, which means that it is dirt cheap to obtain!

Good luck.

Zz.

Thanks for the references, both of those books are on my to-buy list.

1. What are Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are visual representations of mathematical expressions used to describe particle interactions in quantum field theory. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s and are widely used in theoretical physics to calculate the probabilities of different particle interactions.

2. Why are Feynman diagrams important?

Feynman diagrams provide a powerful tool for understanding and visualizing complex interactions between elementary particles. They allow physicists to calculate and predict the outcomes of particle interactions, making them an essential tool in the study of quantum field theory and particle physics.

3. Where can I find good references on Feynman diagrams?

There are many resources available for learning about Feynman diagrams, including textbooks, online lectures, and research articles. Some recommended references include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and the "Feynman Diagrams" section on the CERN website.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Feynman diagrams?

One common misconception is that Feynman diagrams represent actual physical processes. In reality, they are simply a graphical representation of mathematical calculations and do not correspond to physical particles moving through space. Another misconception is that Feynman diagrams only apply to quantum mechanics, when in fact they can also be used in classical mechanics and other areas of physics.

5. Are there any software programs for drawing Feynman diagrams?

Yes, there are several software programs available for drawing Feynman diagrams, including FeynDiagram, JaxoDraw, and TikZ-Feynman. These programs can be useful for creating professional-looking diagrams and automating the tedious process of drawing them by hand. However, it is still important for physicists to understand the underlying mathematical concepts behind Feynman diagrams.