1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Review of Waves

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1

WCL

I'm looking for a good review of Waves before I go into E-Mag, acoustics and vibrations stuff. What would be a solid book for that? I feel like I didn't have a strong foundation in analysing trigonometric functions, and a very weak base using Fourier series, especially with applications.

Right now, I'm thinking about A. P. French's Vibrations and Waves, but it seems to only go over only elementary concepts. The normal introductory physics books only seem to give equations and not go into any analytical depth, and I would like to develop some intuition with this type of stuff, especially considering how important waves are.

Any better suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  4. Jan 16, 2012 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4

WCL

atyy, I like the mit lectures; they seem to be what I'm looking for. The notes don't seem bad...I'll certainly look at the relevant chapters. Though the book seems much too advanced for what I'm looking for.

George Jones, the book seems to be great! Are there solutions to the problems anywhere?

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    I was just looking at the "advanced waves" recommendations on the Manchester University website, they may suit your needs:

http://www.physics.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/course-handbook/10_syllabuses/physics_level2/phys_20171.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jan 25, 2012 #6
    I would recommend A. P. French's Vibrations and Waves as well as Waves (Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 3) by Frank S. Crawford.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook