Good riddle, How do you get off the island?

• Thread starter ch_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary: The person telling the truth will tell you the wrong tunnel, because that's the one the liar will tell you. The liar will tell you the wrong tunnel because that's not the one the person telling the truth would tell you. So, no matter which one answers, they will tell you the wrong tunnel. After you ask the question, you take the other dude and head for the safety tunnel.
ch_
Okay, I'm sure you've heard some sort of variation of this, but it's still pretty good...

You're on an island and desperately need to get off alive. There are 2 caves in front of you. One cave tunnels under the ocean somehow and leads to safety, and the other cave leads to certain death. There are 2 people standing in front of you. You know that one always tells the truth, and one always lies, but you can't tell which person is which. Both people know which way leads to safety and which one to certain death. You have one question to ask one of them in order to figure out how to get off the island alive. What is the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, I think we've seen variations of this one before. But, just in case, my answer is in white so I don't spoil it for anyone who wants to give it a try themselves (highlight to view it).

Which cave will the other person tell me to take? The person telling the truth will tell you the wrong tunnel, because that's the one the liar will tell you. The liar will tell you the wrong tunnel because that's not the one the person telling the truth would tell you. So, no matter which one answers, they will tell you the wrong tunnel. You just take the other one.

"Ehua hdyyaiiplitiki sklitghi unii ?"

Oh, they speak English on this island ? Guess it's different from the one I've heard about, then. :confused:

Gokul43201 said:
"Ehua hdyyaiiplitiki sklitghi unii ?"

Oh, they speak English on this island ? Guess it's different from the one I've heard about, then. :confused:

hehe :tongue2:

I would ask them how many tunnels lead to safety. The truth teller, would tell you one, where as the liar, would say some other number, or nothing, becuase he ALWAYS lies. SO therefore, you can figure out which one tells the truth, so you can ask them which tunnel to take.

You guys are hopelessly clueless.

Gokul wastes his one question asking "What language do you speak?" :redface: , F.A.T. wastes his one question asking "How many tunnels lead to safety?" (while muttering under his breath "I wish I would have listened a little closer." :confused: ), ch_ dazedly asks "What's the question?" :uhh:, and Jimmy P. just screams in frustration "What am I, flypaper for freaks?" :grumpy:

For crying out loud, don't you guys listen or read?!

Doh!

Darn, but this is what I would have asked (in white):

Which tunnel will the jerk standing beside you tell me to take? (that way I get my question answered and get to watch a fight, besides.)

BobG said:
Gokul wastes his one question asking "What language do you speak?" :redface:

Don't pretend as though you understand that particular dialect of the intricate south ughnesian language of dijjawanabier :grumpy:

I've lived on this island and seen these caves, tunnels and locals...actually, I was raised by them after being swept ashore from a shipwreck, but that's a different story.

You, on the other hand make the crazy-@$$ assumption that these dudes speak English ! You wasted your one question, by asking it in the wrong language ! :rolleyes:

Strangely, some English words have very similarly pronounced words in dijjawanabier. For example, there's the phrase vi chtun el vylthah djuh erkstan ding bee cideyoot el mitoot ache which means "please crack open my skull and offer my brains to the Moon God".

Last edited:
seriously though i think the idea is all about the double negative which is ALWAYS positive (or true), right?

piece of cake

"You're on an island and desperately need to get off alive. There are 2 caves in front of you. One cave tunnels under the ocean somehow and leads to safety, and the other cave leads to certain death. There are 2 people standing in front of you. You know that one always tells the truth, and one always lies, but you can't tell which person is which. Both people know which way leads to safety and which one to certain death. You have one question to ask one of them in order to figure out how to get off the island alive. What is the question?"

Okay, the riddle says that you can ask one "question" but it does not say how many "comments" or "commands" you can make (You have one question to ask one of them in order to figure out how to get off the island alive.). Ask one of the dudes if he is standing in front of you (There are 2 people standing in front of you). If he says no then he is obviously the liar . If this is the cause then you can command the truth teller to point to the right tunnel. This was eaaaasssssyyyy.

Last edited:
chauncey said:
Ask one of the dudes if he is standing in front of you (There are 2 people standing in front of you). If he says no then he is obviously the liar . If this is the cause then you can command the truth teller to point to the right tunnel. This was eaaaasssssyyyy.

Well, of course he's also standing behind you! :biggrin:

I would just swim back to shore. Or use my mobile phone to call the coast guard or something.

Easy one :)

lol this one I figured out in third grade
Ask one of the guys: "If I ask the guy next to you what way is the safe way, what would he answer?" then go the other way. :tongue2:

I got it right...

people, stop trying to figure it out. I got it right.

1. What is the "island" in this riddle referring to?

The "island" in this riddle could refer to any isolated place, such as a remote island or a deserted area. It is typically used as a metaphor for being stuck or trapped in a certain situation.

2. Is there a specific way to solve this riddle?

There is no one correct solution to this riddle, as it is open to interpretation. Some people may come up with creative answers that others may not think of. The key is to think outside the box and use your imagination.

3. Can you provide any hints for solving this riddle?

One possible hint for solving this riddle is to focus on the phrase "get off." This could suggest that the solution involves physically leaving the island, rather than finding a solution within the island itself.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for this riddle?

No, this riddle is not based on any scientific principles or theories. It is simply a clever and creative way to challenge one's thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. What is the purpose of this riddle?

The purpose of this riddle is to exercise critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also be used as an icebreaker or a fun activity to stimulate creativity and imagination.