Good science fiction shows?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just watched an episode of "The Outer Limits". I was in high school when this came out.

Production and Decay of Strange Particles

"Production and Decay of Strange Particles" is an episode of the original The Outer Limits television show. It first aired on 20 April 1964, during the first season. The episode was likely the first dramatic film production to incorporate the concept of quasi-stellar objects (abbreviated as quasars or QSOs). These strange objects eject extraordinary amounts of energy, such as x-rays and gamma rays, as well as matter at relativistic speeds.
What's funny is that I just put together 4 DVDs of Robert Feynmans QED lectures for my Daughter to watch while she is home for Christmas; where in his fourth lecture he describes the known particles of his time.

It's a particle Christmas.

firefly

One of my favorites was Science Fiction Theater, popular in the '50s.

In one episode some astronauts had gone to the moon and while on the moon, one astronaut suffered a heart attack. The doctors on earth determined he would not survive the G forces encountered during take off and landing. Their solution was to submerge him, in his spacesuit, in the water tank. Though I doubt whether it would really have worked, it was an interesting solution.

In another, a scientist discovered that as lava freezes it can capture sounds. The scientist was able to recover the sounds from a piece of lava and hear the voices of villagers as they fled the approaching lava.

firefly

One show that I have not seen mentiond: Earth Final Conflict. I downloaded all 5 seasons and amused myself for quite some time. Contrary to some posters I like a continuous story arc, like in Babylon 5. And of course there is Blake's 7, terrible special effects but excelent stories.

But I'm running out of good SF shows, they seem not to be made anymore.

firefly

firefly

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Big Band Theory and Mythbusters both are very good shows and both have so much for science information in it. Every thing is according to the scientific calculations.
Yeah, Mythbusters is my favorite science fiction show.

^:rofl:

firefly

If the OP (QuarkCharmer) is still listening, and if s/he's anything like me, s/he (darn political correctness... can't we invent a neutral article?) will like the first two seasons of Andromeda. Here was a well written show on the good Trek tradition... unfortunately the main writer went away and the series degenerated quickly after the first two years. As a taster, you can give a glance to Angel Dark, Demon Bright and The Knight, Death, and the Devil; if that gets you hooked, go at the series from the beginning.

Last edited:
firefly

FlexGunship
Gold Member
firefly

DrClapeyron
DS9
TNG
Voyager
Farscape
the original Sliders
Quantam Leap

I want to get into Firefly and Babylon 5 but I am not convinced it is worth the cost of buying the dvds.

Everything on Sci-Fi channel since they cancelled Farscape is absolute crap. A coworker watches Eureka, had it on at the office, and I just couldn't understand what it was about. Much like SG-1 it featured too much techno-babble talk and a lot of fast pace scenes to advance plot holes.

Good science fiction shows are not always available but I think the 1990's was the best decade in the modern era.

DS9
I want to get into Firefly and Babylon 5 but I am not convinced it is worth the cost of buying the dvds.
Well, there are cheaper methods to get them on various p2p networks.

Good science fiction shows are not always available but I think the 1990's was the best decade in the modern era.
I agree.

turbo
Gold Member

Everything on Sci-Fi channel since they cancelled Farscape is absolute crap. A coworker watches Eureka, had it on at the office, and I just couldn't understand what it was about. Much like SG-1 it featured too much techno-babble talk and a lot of fast pace scenes to advance plot holes.

Get the complete B-5 set (including the "movies") and be happy. In the beginning narration, G'kar says "nobody here is what they seem" (or some such) and that is true for the whole series. There are so many wrinkles and back-stories... If you can't afford to buy the series, subscribe to Netflix and rent it little by little. I should warn you that the first year's episodes (with a particularly wooden station commander) are a bit slow, but by the time Bruce Boxleitner shows up, the series really takes off.

FWIW, I started watching Enterprise after creating this thread. It's actually not half bad. Working on Farscape now, but season one isn't panning out, and there is all sorts of Jim Henson muppetry afoot...

BSG the new version is the best Sci fi that has been done for years. I used to like Startrek TNG but got bored of it along with Voyger. Enterprise was O.K.

Sky Altantic are doing a re run of BSG at the moment which is good. Defying Gravity was one show I really liked but it got cancelled along with Caprica and Stargate Universe. In fact I was surprised the BSG lasted as long as it did given it was so depressing.

while staying in a ski lodge last week, i tuned the TV to Syfy channel, playing all day low budge horror movies

Really, Firefly is probably worth the cash. It really great.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up, but AMC's The Walking Dead is really entertaining, as long as you aren't afraid of zombies.

Yes, firefly is indeed great. Sadly, it got canceled, just like many others.

You also have the stargate series (Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe).

There's also Eureka and Sanctuary (both canceled, viva syfy!)

Khuratokh
FWIW, I started watching Enterprise after creating this thread. It's actually not half bad. Working on Farscape now, but season one isn't panning out, and there is all sorts of Jim Henson muppetry afoot...
Towards the end of season 1 Farscape really hits it's stride with the introduction of Scorpius. I don't understand why people are so hung up about the puppets, as they provide the possibility of showing aliens that are truly alien and not just humans with rubber foreheads.

Although it does have a larger story arc, the show is more character driven and after a while you'll see Rygel and Pilot more as fleshed out characters and less as puppets.

Don't expect to see any hard science though.
as the main character John Chrichton points out:
"we break the laws of physics every time we go out for groceries."

I am enjoying Star Trek: Voyager at the moment (just started season 03 the other day). I like the premise and the characters are actually pretty good. A huge bonus, is that there isn't much blab (for now at least) about Starfleet's prime directive.

I may read through this thread again soon to find my next series, as right now I am drawing a blank.

Stevo_tred
Eureka was a cool show, wish we had some of those 'toys' in real life