Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good science magazine

1. Aug 5, 2006 #1
    So, i just right now decided i want a subscription to a magazine. I was thinking an astronomy one would suit my tastes best, but i might enjoy other subjects. what are some good, informative, but fun magazines i might enjoy? i don't want to subscribe to something i won't enjoy reading each month. i want to stay more to the physics realm of things. any particular mags that yall have enjoyed?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2006 #2
  4. Aug 5, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Scientific American: It's not as good as it used to be but is still one of the best.

5. Aug 5, 2006 #4
    Scientific American is good as is New Scientist, there pretty simillar really only the side of the ocean sperates them. I've read both though and there's little between them, both good reads.

6. Aug 5, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

If i remember correctly discover mag was a bit pop science ish, never read scientific america, wonder if i can get it this side of the pond.

7. Aug 5, 2006 #6

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I enjoy reading Scientific American. It covers lots of cool subjects like physics, computing, nanotech, astronamy...

8. Aug 5, 2006 #7
    yup it's available where I work in a WHSmiths on the ground floor. It's not as easy to find generally as New Scientist but worth the effort.

9. Aug 5, 2006 #8
    Discover is lite reading but I am a TLC junkie too. Scientific American is a better choice.

10. Aug 5, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One difference: Scientific American has an long established reputation for reporting credible information. Also, it was once written to a Master's level for the given subject. They have dumbed it down over the years, but AFAIK it is still considered trustworthy - really the most credible of any broad spectrum magazine written for the public.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  11. Aug 5, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That's pretty much my assessment.

12. Aug 5, 2006 #11
    Fair enough, I'm not going to argue about New Scientist, they also started off at a high level and slid, but then they wanted to sell magazines, most of the stuff is credible, but if you read the letters(in the feedback section) Sent in by scientists you get the real story. So I'll go with you guys SA is the better mag.

13. Aug 5, 2006 #12
    tbh im not so happy with new scientist, it tends to be sensationalist pap and contradicts itself every other month. But its good to read on the ****ter.

14. Aug 5, 2006 #13

Mk

Hmm :/ the straw poll results say SciAm all the way!! I love Scientific American. The only bad thing about it is their binding is not good. The magazines fall apart easy.

15. Aug 5, 2006 #14
    No brainer. SciAm. Money well spent.

Another benefit of SciAm: Keeps you (scientifically) well rounded.

Paden Roder

16. Aug 5, 2006 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?