Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Science Magazine

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Hey all, what's a good Science magazine to subscribe to?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    How about the obvious, Science Magazine? :biggrin: (From the publishers of Science, the journal).

Physics Today (published by the APS) is the only one I read regularly. It's a great, general-physics exposition of interesting research, a lot of which is very relevant to real life ("Thermodynamics of Hurricanes", "Stability of Bicycles"). Then, there is a lot of general-audience science news in the first 20-30 pages of both Science and Nature, which are presitigious journals of a very broad scope.

After those, there are two decent popular magazines, Discover, and Scientific American. SciAm is somewhat inconsistent in quality, especially when they venture into theoretical physics; there they aim to impress and entertain, rather than inform.

Popular Science is mainly technology-oriented, so I won't mention it.

Finally you get sensationalist drivel like New Scientist, which is a "non peer-revied journal" (:uhh:) and a regular forum for crackpottery.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I subscribed to the weekly publication Science News for years, and read it cover-to-cover. It's a pretty quick read, and well done. Here's their website for more info:

http://www.sciencenews.org/

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    I like New Scientist - it's very amusing, which is important if you're an ADHD sufferer like I think I am. I wouldn't call anyone there a crackpot, they're just normal (eccentric) Brits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?