1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good state schools?

1. Jun 21, 2007 #1
    any good state schools for undergraduate mathematics?

i'm stupid and poor

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2007 #2
    Well which state do you live in?

4. Jun 22, 2007 #3
    poor is nothing but stupid, that'll keep you out of places.

5. Jun 22, 2007 #4
    i live in wa, but i wanted to know if there are any state schools with a good reputation for their mathematics program

oh and...

"poor is nothing but stupid, that'll keep you out of places."

i live in america

hah

6. Jun 22, 2007 #5
    i am probably poorer than you and also live in america, what's your point?

7. Jun 22, 2007 #6
    my point was that in america, if you're rich, the world is open to you.

if you're poor, well...no one gives a ****

so...poor will keep you out of places...not being stupid

ANYWAYS

back to the orignal question

state schools???...anybody?

8. Jun 22, 2007 #7
    in any state??? you realize going out of your home state will cost just as much as a private school. and no poor will not keep you out of anywhere.

9. Jun 22, 2007 #8
    WA is Washington right? The obvious choice would be University of Washington, but I am guessing that you are implying that you are too stupid to go there. What about Washington State University?

10. Jun 24, 2007 #9
    yeah, of course i'm thinking of those schools

but i just wanted to know if anyone on this forum knows of any state schools with a good reputation for their mathematics curriculum

anybody

arizona state?

chico state?

????

11. Jun 24, 2007 #10
    Trade school maybe?

12. Jun 24, 2007 #11
    you know a trade school with a good reputation for mathematics?

13. Jun 24, 2007 #12
    Oh boy.... I said trade school because no school is going to waste their time one someone who calls themselves 'stupid and poor'.

Honestly, if you call yourself 'stupid', do you think a 'good school for math' is going to want to see your application?

14. Jun 24, 2007 #13
    university of michigan
    penn state
    ucla
    uc berkeley
    ohio state
    university of georgia
    unc-chapel hill

many lac's give out scholarships. try them.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  15. Jun 24, 2007 #14
    You'll probably get a decent undergrad education at most decent state schools. Schools are usually ranked on their individual programs at the graduate level, not so much undergrad. I go to Stony Brook, and we have a pretty good math dept. (#8 in the country for Geometry, last time I checked). Dirt cheap, if you are a NYS resident; still wouldn't be too expensive for you either, but nowhere near as cheap as for an in-stater.

16. Jun 24, 2007 #15
    thanks buddy!

17. Jun 24, 2007 #16

cool man, thanks

18. Jun 24, 2007 #17
    I believe ohio state uses spivak for calculus. mathwonk is from UGA, and they also use spivak. the others are good as well. you should also try liberal arts colleges, as they focus primarily on undergraduate education. most give scholarships. smaller number of students + studying with experts = learning more.

19. Jun 24, 2007 #18
    Just curious, what did you mean by "stupid?" I know you were probably being modest, but as an out-of-stater, unless you are an amazing student, you could probably save your money and not apply to Berkeley, UCLA, and UMich.

20. Jun 24, 2007 #19
    yeah..i'm not incredibly stupid, just kinda spacey...i just me ant that i'm not one of those people who can multiply 5 digit numbers in their heads and such

i'm not not an amazing student, but not a bad one

i just love mathematics and would like to go to a school with a productive mathematical environment...with other students as passionate about the subject as i am

21. Jun 24, 2007 #20
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I often call myself stupid as well; hopefully I'm more modest than I am truthful.

Are you looking to stay on the West Coast? If I were you, and had really good grades/test scores/extra-curriculars, I'd try to go to a UC (like Berkeley).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?