1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good statistics book

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    Is there a good statistics book that is the equivalent of Stewart for Calculus in terms of level and theory?

I am probably going to retake stat in the math department at some point (or not), but want to know if such a book exists. By and large, the stat books I have thumbed through are garbage.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2
    go with a book on probability, thats the theory behind statistics

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3
    A Primer to Probability

5. Oct 31, 2006 #4
    Probability? I dont want probability.

6. Oct 31, 2006 #5
    I took a statistics class last year and we covered a lot of things from really basic stuff to some mind-boggling intense stuff. The textbook that we used for our class was [bold]A First Course in Probability[/bold] by [bold]Sheldon Ross[/bold] (don't mind the name, its actually a book on statistics ). I haven't looked at a lot of statistics books, but I seriously loved this book. Very clear and concise. It is one of those books that you might actually feel like reading.

7. Nov 11, 2006 #6
    Umm, you expect to learn statistics without learning probability? Statistics IS probability, at least the non-grabage part is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?