Good telescope for under $100?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Someone502
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, for a budget of $100 or less, it is recommended to go with binoculars instead of a telescope. Telescopes in this price range are not of good quality, whereas binoculars can provide decent views of celestial objects such as Venus, Jupiter's moons, Saturn's rings and moon, and various stars and craters on the moon. It is also suggested to look for used telescopes or binoculars, as they can be found at much lower prices. Ebay may also have some good deals on telescopes in this price range.
Someone502
Could i even get a good teloscope for less than 100$ or are they a lot more then that.

I'm guessing i can't but meh?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For $100 or less, I'd go with binoculars. Telescopes in this price range are pretty cheesy, but binocs in this price range are decent. With binoculars, you can see a crescent shape from Venus, Jupiter's moons, barely Saturn's rings, but if you didn't know what they were, it wouldn't be obvious to you, Saturn's moon, Titan, and lots of Moon craters. You can also see about 10 times as many stars as you can with the naked eye. It will bring some asteroids into view if you know where to look.

Two years ago, Costco was selling Celestron GT114's Telescopes for only $160 which I thought was a great deal. It's computer controlled and points where you tell it to point. Haven't seen telescopes at Costco since then.

If you're just starting out in astronomy, I'd recommend binoculars too. (maybe 7x50...the bigger the second number, the better)

But perhaps you can find a used telescope cheap. Many people buy a telescope when they start out and then realize the hobby is not for them.

As Phobos noted, pre-owned telescopes can be had for ridiculously low prices if you are persistent. They tend not to wear out so you're not giving up much more than that new telescope smell.

If you want to stay under $100, try to look for binoculars at tag sales, etc. You can use BOTH eyes, and integration is a BIG advantage, and you can usually get 7x50 binoculars pretty cheaply. I paid about $80 for my Nikons at an LL Bean sale, and they are the best astronomy investment ever! A good set of well-corrected, well-coated binoculars can be the nicest, most portable wide-field optics you can own.

This may be kind of obviouse but have you tried looking on ebay?? Last time I looked there were telescopes going for about 100$ for what would normally be about 300$ good luck!

What is the best telescope for under $100?

The best telescope for under $100 will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include the Celestron PowerSeeker 70AZ, the Meade Infinity 70mm Refractor Telescope, and the Orion StarBlast 4.5 Astro Reflector Telescope.

What features should I look for in a telescope under $100?

When shopping for a telescope under $100, it is important to consider the aperture (the diameter of the telescope's main lens or mirror), the focal length (the distance from the lens or mirror to the point where the image is in focus), and the magnification power. You may also want to consider the type of telescope (refractor, reflector, or compound) and any additional features such as a tripod or eyepieces.

Can I see planets with a telescope under $100?

Yes, you can see some planets with a telescope under $100. However, the quality of the view may vary depending on the telescope's features and the atmospheric conditions. Planets such as Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars are usually visible with a telescope under $100, but they may appear as small dots rather than detailed images.

What is the difference between a refractor and a reflector telescope?

A refractor telescope uses lenses to gather and focus light, while a reflector telescope uses mirrors. Refractor telescopes are typically better for viewing planets and other bright objects, while reflector telescopes are better for viewing fainter objects such as galaxies and nebulae. Refractor telescopes are also generally more compact and easier to set up, while reflector telescopes may require more maintenance.

Are there any additional accessories I should consider when purchasing a telescope under $100?

Some additional accessories you may want to consider for a telescope under $100 include eyepieces of different focal lengths to adjust the magnification, a finder scope to help you locate objects in the sky, and a tripod or mount for stability. You may also want to invest in a star chart or astronomy book to help you identify objects in the night sky.