Recommended Textbooks for Relativity: Practice Problems and Answers Included?

In summary, for those looking for a textbook covering GR and SR with practice problems and answers included, there are several options available. Motionmountain's "Relativity" offers partial answers, while Einstein's "Relativity" does not include exercises. Other options include Taylor/Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics" for SR and Schutz for GR. Additionally, "Relativity and Cosmology" by one of the previous professors of the conversation participants is highly recommended, as well as Hartle's "Gravity" which offers clear explanations but not full solutions.
Nervous
I'm trying to find a textbook I can download that covers GR and SR and includes practice problems so I can test myself. Naturally, answers would need to be included so I can check my answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I don't know where are you from, but here in my country a good start for SR would be a high school manual, i'll study SR in the 12 grade and you can find problems there.After that or even along side that i would recommend Theory of Relativity for everyone written by Einstein himself(I hope i translated the title correctly).

Nervous said:
I'm trying to find a textbook I can download that covers GR and SR and includes practice problems so I can test myself. Naturally, answers would need to be included so I can check my answers.

Motionmountain vol.II Relativity has partial answers included.
http://motionmountain.net/contents.html

PS here's a link to Einstein book "relativity" (regretfully it contains no exercises):
http://www.bartleby.com/173/

Last edited:
I would go with Taylor/Wheeler's Spacetime physics for SR, and Schutz for GR.

I can recommend a book by one of my previous professors amazon link. It's part of the oxford masters series but don't let that intimidate you because it's definitely undergraduate level. It's a very good book and all or most answers are provided as far as I know.

Alternatively there's Hartle amazon link. While full solutions aren't included, there are a lot of examples in the book. And while it's meant as an undergraduate book, I still turned to it quite frequently when I took GR in grad school because explanations were so clear.

1. What is the best textbook for learning about relativity?

The best textbook for learning about relativity will depend on your level of understanding and the specific topics you are interested in. Some popular options include "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler, "Gravitation" by Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler, and "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz.

2. Are there any textbooks that explain relativity in a simple and easy-to-understand way?

Yes, there are many textbooks that are written specifically for beginners and aim to explain relativity in a simple and easy-to-understand way. Some examples include "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein, "Simply Einstein: Relativity Demystified" by Richard Wolfson, and "The ABC of Relativity" by Bertrand Russell.

3. What are some essential topics that a good textbook on relativity should cover?

A good textbook on relativity should cover the basics of special and general relativity, including concepts such as time dilation, length contraction, the equivalence principle, and the curvature of spacetime. It should also discuss important applications of relativity, such as black holes and the expanding universe.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a textbook on relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a textbook on relativity. Some popular options include lecture notes from universities, video lectures on platforms like YouTube and Coursera, and online simulations and visualizations. It can also be helpful to join online forums or discussion groups for additional support and resources.

5. How can I determine if a textbook on relativity is suitable for my level of understanding?

The best way to determine if a textbook on relativity is suitable for your level of understanding is to read reviews and ratings from other readers, as well as the book's table of contents and sample pages. It can also be helpful to consult with a professor or other experts in the field for their recommendations and insights.