1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good textbook for relativity?

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to find a textbook I can download that covers GR and SR and includes practice problems so I can test myself. Naturally, answers would need to be included so I can check my answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2
    Well I don't know where are you from, but here in my country a good start for SR would be a high school manual, i'll study SR in the 12 grade and you can find problems there.After that or even along side that i would recommend Theory of Relativity for everyone written by Einstein himself(I hope i translated the title correctly).

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    Motionmountain vol.II Relativity has partial answers included.
    http://motionmountain.net/contents.html

PS here's a link to Einstein book "relativity" (regretfully it contains no exercises):
    http://www.bartleby.com/173/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. Apr 24, 2012 #4
  6. Apr 24, 2012 #5
    I would go with Taylor/Wheeler's Spacetime physics for SR, and Schutz for GR.

7. Apr 30, 2012 #6
    I can recommend a book by one of my previous professors amazon link. It's part of the oxford masters series but don't let that intimidate you because it's definitely undergraduate level. It's a very good book and all or most answers are provided as far as I know.

Alternatively there's Hartle amazon link. While full solutions aren't included, there are a lot of examples in the book. And while it's meant as an undergraduate book, I still turned to it quite frequently when I took GR in grad school because explanations were so clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook