1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good textbooks for physics

1. Aug 18, 2009 #1
    I am looking for some textbooks in order to teach myself physics. My background in this area is rather limited. Many moons ago I did take a Physics C class as a junior in high school but beyond that I haven't really delved much into the subject.

The topics I am interested in are classical mechanics, electrodynamics, statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics. I am the kind of person who is comfortable reading graduate level mathematical texts (with limited prerequisites) who however isn't too comfortable physics.

Thanks in advance,

Excor.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2
    You'll find threads on all those subjects in the "Science Book Discussion" section. My own recs would be:

Feynman, Lectures on Physics

Mechanics: French, Newtonian Mechanics (and also Vibrations and Waves); Fowles, Analytical Mechanics; Landau & Lifschitz, Mechanics

E&M: Scwhartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. Why not start there I think, but at a slightly lower level and with many worked examples: Nayfeh & Brussel, Electricity and Magnetism.

Stat Mech: I have a block. I like Fermi's thermodynamics book.

QM: The https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics-Student-Physics-Davies/dp/0710099622" (not the expanded 2nd edition); Shankar; Sakurai.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    Thanks I will check a few of those out from the library and see how I do with them. Would something like statistic physics I & II by Kubo be good for stat. mech?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook