Long-Time Lurkers: Who's Still Here After All These Years?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, Pengwuino has returned to the forum after a long absence due to school and discovered that many of his favorite people are still active. He had initially popped in to ask a question, but ended up solving it himself. Pengwuino has completed his B.S. in Physics and has started his masters at California State University - Fresno. He talks about the changes in Fresno's population, housing market, and economy. He also mentions the hot weather in Fresno and discusses the changes in the night sky due to pollution.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Wow it's been forever since I've been around here! I blame school... so who is still hanging around these here forums after all these years? :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! Welcome back Pengwuino.

Thank you! Hey didnt you use to have an alien somewhere on your posts...

It was my avatar a few years ago.

What caused you to pop in again?

I had a problem and my usual resources weren't contactable so I decided to pop on here and ask. Got to looken around and saw my favorite people were still around and figured I'd troll... err stroll around the forums again. I ended up solving my own problem anyhow haha. This place sure seems to have become quite popular!

Pengwuino said:
This place sure seems to have become quite popular!

You might say that.

[URL=http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sciam.png][PLAIN]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7586/sciam.png[/URL][/PLAIN]

Good to have you back, Pengwuino!

Thank you ;)

Scientific American? Pff, how about a magazine people actually read ;)

That's awesome though, I noticed that at the bottom of the forum but I guess it didn't click that hey, its SciAm! WoW.

Oh.....welcome back...

Cyrus said:
Oh.....welcome back...

heeeeheeeeheeeeheeee thank you!

Hey, dude! It's good to see that you're still keeping a stiff upper beak.

Nice to see that you still remember the way home.

Welcome back!

George Jones said:
Nice to see that you still remember the way home.

Welcome back!

Yeah, you'll imagine birds are not that smart... Especially a flightless bird...

So you mean to say that PF isn't one of your usual sources? :grumpy:

Welcome back, pengwuino! Have a bucket of fish on us.

So nice to know your alive and kicking!
And nice to know your still hard at your studies.

WB Pengwuino

hypatia said:
So nice to know your alive and kicking!
And nice to know your still hard at your studies.

Yup, alive and waddling. I completed my B.S. in Physics last semester and have started my masters this semester. It's ... fun?

Pengwuino! About freaking time! How are you?

Evo said:
Pengwuino! About freaking time! How are you?

EVO! :D I am tired these days :( haha. How have you been? :)

Hi Pengwino! It is so nice to see you! Where are you doing your masters?

At my same university, California State University - Fresno :)

And after all this time, I thought you flunked out of school and left PF in shame. :)

Pengwuino said:
At my same university, California State University - Fresno :)

How big is Fresno these days? What are the housing and employment situations? Has the area been hit hard by the economy?

I used to go there occasionally as a kid, and I swore it was the hottest place on earth! :biggrin:

Hey there Pengwuino. Welcome back.

Cyrus said:
And after all this time, I thought you flunked out of school and left PF in shame. :)

You can fool many universities with online purchased degrees these days! $14.99

Ivan Seeking said:
How big is Fresno these days? What are the housing and employment situations? Has the area been hit hard by the economy?

I used to go there occasionally as a kid, and I swore it was the hottest place on earth! :biggrin:

half a million easy :). We got hit hard with the housing crash... which i'll be damned if I'm going to complain about... (even though I should since my mothers doing real estate in her retired years). The city was just expanding like nobody's business, the airports smack dab in the middle of the city! The city neighboring us, Clovis, just got engulfed by Fresno. There is tons of "cheap" housing now; some houses are going for 40% of their price just a couple years ago. I don't think you can find a +$400k house anymore unless you really really hunt for it. I found it funny when a couple years ago you'd see these developer's billboards with... "McGraw Estates, low $350ks" for those big tract housing areas... you know. Now they're high $190's. Economically, i don't really know. There isn't anymore massive expansion going on but with a few notable exceptions, no one's really having to close up shop. So anecdotal evidence suggests its not too bad... then again how much do i get out these days?

Oh yes and it's still hotter then holy hell. We still have this ability to have to wear a jacket and sweater for some mornings only to have to be in tshirts by the end of the day as well. Somethign is screwy in this desert turned agricultural-mecca.

Hey pengwino maybe you should update your signature, yomama isn't with us anymore, and Cyrus likes planes no rockets anymore, or does he?:uhh:

awww whered he go :( whos going to stalk me and annoy me in every thread i make now?

Pengwuino said:
awww whered he go?

He's still here, but under a more adult name.

Danger said:
He's still here, but under a more adult name.

Uh oh... who is he... where is he hiding... someone get my bug replant.

I'll leave it up to him to reveal himself. In the meantime, just live in fear... :biggrin:

I don't know if we ever overlapped in our PF activities, but either way, good to have you back!

Pengwuino said:
half a million easy :).

When I was there last, I'd bet it was something more like 50,000. Course then I can remember when Bakersfield was barely more than a gas stop and a landing strip - literally! One sad note: When I was a kid, the night sky in the valley was like none that I've ever seen anywhere. It was absolutely incredible to see. But even before we moved North, the truck traffic had already produced enough smog to take the edge off. It was still beautiful, but not like before.

We got hit hard with the housing crash... which i'll be damned if I'm going to complain about... (even though I should since my mothers doing real estate in her retired years). The city was just expanding like nobody's business, the airports smack dab in the middle of the city! The city neighboring us, Clovis, just got engulfed by Fresno. There is tons of "cheap" housing now; some houses are going for 40% of their price just a couple years ago. I don't think you can find a +$400k house anymore unless you really really hunt for it. I found it funny when a couple years ago you'd see these developer's billboards with... "McGraw Estates, low $350ks" for those big tract housing areas... you know. Now they're high $190's. Economically, i don't really know. There isn't anymore massive expansion going on but with a few notable exceptions, no one's really having to close up shop. So anecdotal evidence suggests its not too bad... then again how much do i get out these days?

Unbelievable! I never would have imagined that a tract home in Fresno would sell for 400K! Things reeeeally have changed.

Oh yes and it's still hotter then holy hell.

I have no doubt of that! I had cousins in Fresno that we visited from time to time, and my dad and I would go duck hunting in Mendota. Duck hunting months weren't too bad, but the summer months were often unbelievably hot. We pretty much lived in the pool.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
We pretty much lived in the pool.

And all of this time I thought that those wrinkles were merely artifacts of your advanced age.

Danger said:
And all of this time I thought that those wrinkles were merely artifacts of your advanced age.

No no, that goes back to the terrible sunlamp accident.