Good way to get a head start on ODE's?

• Thread starter jean28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, if you're looking to get a head start on your ordinary differential equations class this summer, the MIT course on OCW is a great resource to start with, along with other online courses and textbooks.
jean28
Hey guys, I'll take ordinary differential equations this summer. Class starts on June 4th. I wanted to get a head start on the topic because i'll take it with a professor that usually gives VERY hard exams, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good site or something to start studying right away (even if it's only these two weeks).

Just got my book today, I got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321747747/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I saw that MIT has the course on OCW. Is that recommendable? Is there a better one that I don't know of? Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the MIT course on OCW (OpenCourseWare) is recommendable. It's an excellent resource for learning about ordinary differential equations. There are also other resources available online, such as Khan Academy and Coursera, which offer courses on the subject. Additionally, you may want to check out some textbooks specifically written for ODEs, such as Differential Equations (4th Edition) by Dennis G. Zill or Elementary Differential Equations (9th Edition) by Boyce and DiPrima.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of a function with respect to one or more independent variables.

2. Why is it important to learn about ODE's?

ODE's are widely used in many fields of science and engineering to model and predict the behavior of systems. They are essential in understanding and solving complex problems in various disciplines.

3. What is a good way to get a head start on learning ODE's?

A good way to get a head start on ODE's is to have a strong foundation in calculus, particularly in differentiation and integration. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of linear algebra and basic differential equations.

4. What are some resources for learning about ODE's?

There are many resources available for learning about ODE's, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. It is also beneficial to practice solving ODE's using real-world examples and applications.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for ODE's?

The best way to improve problem-solving skills for ODE's is through practice. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and techniques used in solving ODE's.