Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good Website for Unit Conversions

1. Jul 21, 2005 #1
    I need to find a good website with unit conversions especially for high energy physics. For instance a place that has length, mass, time etc defined in terms of energy with electronvolt conversions etc.

I've been looking on the web for awhile but haven't been able to find a good one, does anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, Google has a built-in unit converter.

For example, you can type in "1eV=", and it will give you the answer in Joules. It has loads of units built in, I've never needed to use anything else for conversions.

4. Jul 22, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I don't particularly care for web site calculators and such if I can help it. The best units conversion program I have come across is free for 45 uses and has an extensive set of units built in. Plus, you can add any conversions you are missing. The program is called OmniCon and can be downloaded in a few places. iCrank is one place:

http://icrank.com/cgi-bin/pageman/pageout.cgi?path=/shareware.htm&t=4

Look about half way down under the heading "Our Selections" and you'll see a link for it.

Brew: I didn't know that about Google. Damn those guys think of everything, don't they?

5. Jul 22, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They do indeed, I discovered it by accident!

I forgot to say, if you ever wind up at the eng-tips.com website, don't use their units converter, or if you do be very wary about the answers it gives!

6. Jul 22, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I frequent eng-tips but didn't notice a converter. That's why I like stand alones like OmniCon. You can see the conversions used if you ever have doubt.

7. Jul 27, 2005 #6
    with google you can also type things like "1 mile in centimeters" as well as "1ev=". google also acts as a basic calculator which can sometimes be better than the default windows calculator as you can write out a long calculation and then get google to evaluate it.

8. Jul 27, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't find it now (I think I have this bookmarked in my lab computer) but there's a website that will convert quantites between units as well. For instance if you give a distance and ask to convert it to energy, it will give you (h*c)/distance.

9. Jul 27, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Jul 27, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, that's a bit good isn't it!

Thanks Gokul.

11. Jul 27, 2005 #10
    I don't think google does esu/emu or any other cgs units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?