Goodbye Mad Magazine

• Thread starter gleem
  • Start date

gleem

Science Advisor
I just learned that the August issue of Mad Magazine will be its last. Like many of us growing up in the fifty and sixties Mad magazine provided use with a different outlook of the world from that which was being foisted on us by the establishment.

Remember someone running into your dorm room yelling "Did you see the latest issue of Mad" Yep. I lost contact with it in the 70's. However it did create a whole generation of cynics and satirists which continue with it main objective of exposing the hypocrisy and subterfuge of our society.

"What me worry?" No, at least not too much.

epenguin

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I too have not seen it for a long time, in fact I don't believe I have ever read through very many issues, yet they imprinted themselves and the ethos.Is this anything to do with what we hear about free speech on American campuses?

You got there before me with the phrase but let me be first with

nz1t3r.jpg

gleem

Science Advisor
Is this anything to do with what we hear about free speech on American campuses?
The university is suppose to be a venue for the free exchange of ideas even if you do not agree or an idea is conflicts with your beliefs or positions on a subject. In the US some universities have sided with students some of whom are so offended by certain attitudes or ideas that they are disabled to face the trials of the workaday world and must find refuge in some quiet place provided by the university to regroup. Some on the other hand not only do not wish to debate these ideas but actively try to suppress their expression or even punish the offender. Other universities have maintained their defense of freedom of expression. What's the saying, "If you cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen,"

I don't think these students have a sense of humor either.

Klystron

Gold Member
MAD magazine had a profound effect on humor at the middle and high school level (before 1970 in my experience). MAD promoted sarcasm and witty irony as the epitome of humor. University humor seemed more influenced by Monty Python, Saturday Night Live (SNL, after 1974) and Harvard, later National Lampoon political humor.

MAD asked "What, me worry?" in the face of possible nuclear destruction. "Spy-versus-Spy" along with Boris and Natasha of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" made cold war espionage amusing.

gleem

Science Advisor
University humor seemed more influenced by Monty Python, Saturday Night Live (SNL, after 1974) and Harvard, later National Lampoon political humor.

Mad Mag supposedly was inspiration for SNL as well as The Simpsons,The Onion and The Daily Show. It may have had some influence on others as well.

I never read the magazine but I definitely appreciate how iconic it became over time. It just couldn't adapt or evolve to an online world.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I just learned that the August issue of Mad Magazine will be its last. Like many of us growing up in the fifty and sixties Mad magazine provided use with a different outlook of the world from that which was being foisted on us by the establishment.

Remember someone running into your dorm room yelling "Did you see the latest issue of Mad" Yep. I lost contact with it in the 70's. However it did create a whole generation of cynics and satirists which continue with it main objective of exposing the hypocrisy and subterfuge of our society.
I started reading it in the 1960s. My dad received it, I think mostly for Spy vs Spy, which I enjoyed. I read it up through the 1980s, then got too busy with grad school and work, and also, I was more invested in reading textbooks, journal articles and journals like Scientific American, or magazines like Trains, Model Railroading, Railroad Modeler, Railway Age.

I loved Don Martin's work. Who could forget Fester Bestertester or Fonebone.

His work had me in stiches.

256bits

Gold Member
Great Movie reviews in Mad Magazine in 3 or 4 pages.
One didn't have to shell out at the movie theatre. Instead read a condensed version in print.

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
MAD promoted sarcasm and witty irony as the epitome of humor.
I especially enjoyed "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions".
I had a lot of very sarcastic friends in Jr. High school.