Goodbye Physicsforums

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nooo you can't leave. Request denied.

Seriously though, I understand it. You've been spending so much time here that it must be hard to get anything else done. So let me just say that I have really appreciated your efforts to help me with topology, measure theory, integration theory, Hilbert spaces, operator algebras and lattices. You have been of greater value to me than all the other members of the forum combined.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3TQbDz6-4eM?version=3&start=61&end=64.5&autoplay=1

Dear members of PF,

I am sad to announce that I will be leaving PF. I wish to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for the wonderful time I had here. I deeply enjoyed the interactions and discussions with everybody here.

If anybody wishes to contact me, Evo has my email address.

Goodbye everybody.
:frown:
Thank you for all your contributions, your wonderful and wacky humor, all your funny pictures and jokes (which have made me laugh many times). And we had great fun in the long PF Futbol League thread, it made the World Cup even more enjoyable, and I won't forget that! I hope you'll be doing well in your life and maybe pop in here now and then nevertheless. :smile:

strangerep said:
OK, now I'm sure that something is seriously wrong with PF, but I don't understand what.

Are you likely to be active anywhere else?
I don't know yet. There are few places on the internet that I've really liked as much as PF. I don't know yet, I need to think and see.

I wish to thank you for our discussions we had together, strangerep. You introduced me to the awesome formalism of rigged hilbert spaces, which will likely end up to be a large part in my thesis. I also think I might have found a solution to that problem you asked me about (extending the spectral theorem for generalized operators). If I ever manage to write it down cleanly, I will let you know.

Lisa! said:
Good luck!
I really enjoyed your polls and "Funny pictures of politics and world affairs" thread.
Thanks a lot Lisa factorial. I'm happy you enjoyed my posts. Please take care!

DrClaude said:
It's a sad day. We didn't interact much, but I always enjoyed reading your posts. PF won't be the same without you.
True, we didn't interact much. But I did always enjoy your posts a lot.

Borek said:
I don't believe you. You already did once, then you got back.
Yes, Borek, that is true. And I cannot predict the future so I cannot say I will never be back. But there is a large chance that I will not be back, so I wish to say goodbye to everybody in case this happens.

Best wishes micromass. I hope that you'll be back again soon.
Thanks a lot Borg. I wish Greg would implement a poll on "best avatar on PF". Yours is surely going to win!

Don't say goodbye :frown: You are going to close your browser and never log in again?
Maybe, I don't know yet, but the chances are nonzero. Take care, Monique!

Goodbye Micromass, you were one of my favourite Mentors here. I really liked your posts. :smile:
Too bad you stopped coming to chat after a while. But we had fun. Have a good time!

micromass, all the very best!
I must say I never quite understood how a biologist could end up with so much deep and detailed knowledge of physics. I am truly very jealous of your capabilities and your knowledge.

What's the neutrino threshold for coming back?

Bye :frown:
Ask matterwave, he's the neutrino love :tongue: You are one of the best mentor choices we had. So I'm sure the math forums will be safe with you!

Goodbye and best to you micromass. Because of the high quality of your posts I have often wondered who you are and what your background is. My home page has my email address if you should want to share such info.
Thank you. PF would not be possible without excellent posters and homework helpers such as you. Truly, I cannot put into words the admiration I have for you and other homework posters.

I am deeply saddened by your departure, micromass. Your presence in the chat will be missed. =[
Thank you Stevie. I hope you end up finding the happiness you deserve. You are one of the kindest people out there. Too bad that you must go through all these things.

:frown:
Thank you for all your contributions, your wonderful and wacky humor, all your funny pictures and jokes (which have made me laugh many times). And we had great fun in the long PF Futbol League thread, it made the World Cup even more enjoyable, and I won't forget that! I hope you'll be doing well in your life and maybe pop in here now and then nevertheless. :smile:
Oh yeah, the futbol thread was fun. I'm really glad that a lot of people enjoyed it so much. And I was afraid at the start that nobody would post in it!! It was very exciting until the very end. I'm glad you joined in there and make the many supporting posts you did, it made me appreciate you a lot.

Nooo you can't leave. Request denied.

Seriously though, I understand it. You've been spending so much time here that it must be hard to get anything else done. So let me just say that I have really appreciated your efforts to help me with topology, measure theory, integration theory, Hilbert spaces, operator algebras and lattices. You have been of greater value to me than all the other members of the forum combined.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3TQbDz6-4eM?version=3&start=61&end=64.5&autoplay=1
Thank you, Fredrik. I really enjoyed your posts - both the posts helping people as the ones asking for help.

I'll say it again, if anybody wishes to contact me for anything (even if it's just for discussing math), you are welcome to email me!

I find it a little hard to believe that someone's life can be so full of responsibility (family, work), so that he can't find a couple of hours in a month to log on here and make some automatically valuable contributions.
Well, I haven't really disclosed the reason I've left here, and I will not do so. I have to say that I will really miss helping people. Maybe I will miss it too much and get back here, ..., maybe...

Thanks a lot for your contributions on PF, dexter. I really loved to read them!

Finally, I wish to thank my favorite PF poster, WBN. It's been a pleasure knowing you and working on mathematics with you. You are truly the smartest person I have ever known. Your absolute brilliance has often made me feel very small. I know you very much dislike this kind of admiration and pressure, but it's how I truly feel. When you end up getting your PhD, your tenured professorship and your Nobel prize, I hope you will find some time to think of me and the weird topology problems we did at night :biggrin: Please take care!

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can't understand how someone could walk out the door and not look back, it makes me feel like a goodbye thread not too long ago that gave me a very bad feeling.

You get to retain your title of The Honourable Dr micromass.

Intrastellar
Gold Member
Ahh yes! The football thread! Thank you for hosting that micromass :biggrin:

fluidistic
Gold Member
Bye micromass. I will miss you in the chat...
And I'll never forget that you helped me in linear algebra in at least 2 threads.

PAllen
Science Advisor
2019 Award
Irreplaceable.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Please take this with you, micro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XGX98OW4Rc

Heartfelt.

strangerep
Science Advisor
I wish to thank you for our discussions we had together, strangerep. You introduced me to the awesome formalism of rigged hilbert spaces, which will likely end up to be a large part in my thesis.
?? :bugeye: ??

I also think I might have found a solution to that problem you asked me about (extending the spectral theorem for generalized operators). If I ever manage to write it down cleanly, I will let you know.
Yes! I do want to know about that, and quite likely others do too. Will your thesis be uploaded to the arxiv at some stage? (Maybe you could PM me if that happens? Not that I'm likely to understand it properly.)

BTW, we need another way to find you. Evo's PM space was exceeded recently, so I couldn't PM her to ask for your email address. :frown:

BTW, we need another way to find you. Evo's PM space was exceeded recently, so I couldn't PM her to ask for your email address. :frown:
Probably too many requests for his email address...

atyy
Science Advisor
Will your thesis be uploaded to the arxiv at some stage? (Maybe you could PM me if that happens? Not that I'm likely to understand it properly.)
I guess you'll be reading all Belgian theses within the next year that mention rigged Hilbert spaces.

Maybe you can narrow your search by only reading those about futbol.

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am against this proposal. :frown:

ZombieFeynman
Gold Member
Goodbye micro.

I can't understand how someone could walk out the door and not look back, it makes me feel like a goodbye thread not too long ago that gave me a very bad feeling.
It's very strange to me as well, but he says he'll be in touch with those who request his email address.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the help received. It is a great loss for this site and I hope you will change your mind... Anyhow, take care.

phion
Gold Member
I don't believe you either. :grumpy:

Fondly,

phion

Dembadon
Gold Member
:(
I'm sad to see this, but I wish you the best micro!

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
All the best to you micromass. Your contributions to the Forums have been great and will continue to enlighten those who read your posts. Drop in whenever you please.

(I haven't been on here much lately so I just now saw this thread.)

SammyS