Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goodbye to Twinkies?

Tags:
  1. Jan 12, 2012 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Fortunately, no. Twinkies junkies will still get their fix, at least for now, even though Hostess has filed for bankruptcy:

Twinkies will keep coming despite bankruptcy

I was actually more of a fan of Hostess Cupcakes than Twinkies, but I haven't eaten either in a long time. My current junk-food addiction is Cheetos. :tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    Even if they went bankrupt people would save them just to see how long they last. Someone should try irradiating one and putting it in air-tight container to get into the Guinness Book of Records for the oldest surviving Twinkie. Who knows, some Twinkies could outlast humanity.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never knew that Hostess cupcakes have been around so long.

http://www.hostessbrands.com/Brands/Hostess.aspx

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't had a Twinkie or anything else Hostess in a long time. I was mostly a HoHo fan...and Devil Dogs, but I can't remember if they were made by Hostess or not.

6. Jan 12, 2012 #5

rhody

Gold Member

I knew it was a matter of time before someone posted this, thanks JT, my only thoughts about Hostess is they made treats that brings back good childhood memories, sad to see them disappear into oblivion. I still have my memories though.

Rhody... :frown:

7. Jan 12, 2012 #6

Evo

The only thing made by hostess that I eat is their orange cupcakes, which are almost impossible to find. Whenever I find them, I buy the entire stock, which is usually only 2 packs. :frown: I even have a certain way they must be eaten. These are not to be taken lightly.

8. Jan 13, 2012 #7
    I'm shocked! What has the world come to that an American manufacturer of sugary treats might go out of business? Is nothing sacred?

Not long ago, the production of the vaunted (but, apparently not that much) Brach's A&W root beer barrel was stopped. Being somewhat addicted to said treats, I was most distressed by their discontinuance.

And now the possibility that the cream-filled (chocolate) Hostess cupcake might become an extinct species. (I prefer them to Twinkies -- apparently having been persuaded by the advertising spiel of Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody.) This is a bad thing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  9. Jan 13, 2012 #8
    I forgot the Hostess Suzy Q (chocolate version). Perhaps the greatest sugary snack ever invented, and my current favorite inducer of adult onset diabetes. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

10. Jan 13, 2012 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

11. Jan 13, 2012 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Devil Dogs are made by Drake, which is owned by Hostess now.

I never understood why some people favored Ho-Hos over Ding-Dongs and vice versa.

12. Jan 13, 2012 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Defense lawyers would never let Twinkies disappear.

13. Jan 13, 2012 #12
    Twinkies have a shelf life of about 30 days, but are typically sold in under 7 days.

14. Jan 13, 2012 #13

Evo

15. Nov 15, 2012 #14

jtbell

16. Nov 15, 2012 #15

Evo

NOOOOOO, once a year I hunt for their orange cupcakes. Life will end if those go off the market. :cry:

17. Nov 15, 2012 #16
    Their Cupcakes were delicious, but about five to ten minutes after consuming them I always started hating myself.

18. Nov 15, 2012 #17
    Buy a bag of twinkies and save them for 50 years. Could be worth something.

19. Nov 15, 2012 #18

Drakkith

Yep. They are good, but make me feel...bleh...

20. Nov 15, 2012 #19
    I will miss you, Raspberry Zingers.

21. Nov 15, 2012 #20

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook