Is uStart.org a Safe Alternative to Yahoo or a Potential Virus Threat?

In summary, the speaker has decided to leave Yahoo after 12+ years and has found a potential replacement in uStart.org. However, they are concerned about reports of uStart being a virus and ask for advice on alternative sites. They have been using uStart without any issues and appreciate its no-ad experience and RSS feeds.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My Yahoo is changing their site to the point that, after 12+ years, I have decided to leave. After many searches for a replacement, I finally ran across a site called uStart.org that has much of what I had with Yahoo. My concern is that a Google search on uStart returned a lot of hits about it being a virus. From what I read, it sounds like there is a toolbar addon on the internet that is the real culprit and not the site itself. I never install toolbars so I'm not too concerned if that's all that it is.

I created a page several months ago and updated it yesterday without any issues on my system before I saw the Google results today. For now, I plan on keeping it unless I see something more concrete than vague virus warnings. My computer is firewalled so I'll know if anything attempts to connect to the internet. I also check my task manager throughout the day whenever I'm on the computer. So, I will know if something is wrong very quickly. However, I would like to ask a couple of questions.

Has anyone used uStart and have you had any problems?

Do you know of any alternatives to Yahoo or uStart that have similar capabilities?

Thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
Are you still using uStart.org? What is your experience with this site?

Yes, I'm still using it. It's a great, no-ad (and no virus) experience. I have tons of RSS feeds all over the page including one from PF. The feeds update every few minutes giving me the latest news. I haven't missed Yahoo at all. :oldsmile:

Likes DrClaude

1. What is the "Goodbye Yahoo, hello virus"?

The "Goodbye Yahoo, hello virus" is a type of computer virus that has been circulating on the internet. It is designed to target users of the popular email service Yahoo and infect their computers with malware.

2. How does the virus spread?

The virus can spread through various means, such as through malicious email attachments, fake software updates, or by exploiting vulnerabilities in outdated software. It can also spread through infected USB drives or by visiting compromised websites.

3. What are the risks of being infected with this virus?

The virus can cause a range of issues, from slowing down your computer and disrupting your internet connection to stealing your personal information and financial data. It can also make your computer vulnerable to other types of malware.

4. How can I protect myself from this virus?

To protect yourself from this virus, make sure to always keep your operating system and software up to date, avoid opening suspicious emails or downloading attachments from unknown sources, and use reputable antivirus software to scan your computer regularly.

5. What should I do if I think my computer has been infected?

If you suspect that your computer has been infected with the "Goodbye Yahoo, hello virus," you should immediately disconnect from the internet and run a full system scan with your antivirus software. If the virus cannot be removed, seek professional help from a computer technician.