Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goodman-Smith Diagram

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    For material fatigue strenght.
    Does anyone know about a source where i can read about them ?
    unfortunatly google doesnt give any reasonable options, or maybe
    someone here will be ready to answer my question for the problems
    ive encountered with them.

And the Problem:

A tensile bar made of 30CrNiMo8 is subjected to swelling loading Fmax=72kN and Fmin=12kN. Please Calculate:

a. Stress Ratio
    b. Max and Min. Stress
    c. Neccesary diameter of the bad in this case with a safety factor 1.7/

So, my attemt was:

a. Stress Ratio is simple Fmin/Fmax , i know this question is kinda mocking the intelligence of the people here, but i though it might lead to the right solution.

b. Max and Min Stress: The table i have shows for that metal allowed limit stress of 870Mpa, the G-S Diagram shows range of 800Mpa to Zero. Solution of my proffesor was Max tension of 950~900MPa and Min 220~260Mpa.

I would say these values are on the same vertical line in the Goodman-Smith diagram, but with no special notance, would appreciate of someone can give a hint.

All the best, Amit.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2
    I'm going to ressurrect this topic, because I need a little help

In some of my assigned reading, a "Smith Diagram" is explained, but poorly. I get that it's a combination of Wöhler diagrams, but I don't understand how to read it - can anybody help with this?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?