Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google advertising

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    I don't understand how google can possibly afford to supply me with 6656 MB for e-mails for free, provide me with super-fast searches of the entire internet and tons of other amenities just on add money. I have never clicked on a google add (okay maybe once or twice by accident) and it is easy for me to totally ignore them. I imagine the same is true for other people.

Something is wrong with this picture.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2
    Google is purely an advertising company. They were able to strike a right balance between the number of ads on a page and the number of hits they receive.

The more ads a website has, the less attractive it will be. So it seems with google, just one ad in their search engine multiplied by gazillions of hits a day will produce revenue.

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    I love Google! Hey ehren, I just realized this. Is your name based on the Ehren from Jackass and Viva La Bam?

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4
  6. Apr 24, 2008 #5
    Dead on. Before Google exploded I had a plethora of search engines that I used for whatever reason. If I was searching for a topic, I would immediately open a Webcrawler, Altavista, Aliweb, Yahoo, Lycos and Infoseek and enter whatever I was searching for, as different engines would pull up different pages.

Before all that I used Gopher, and before that... well... there was no internet. BBS's kept me busy.

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    Alright, that makes more sense!

8. Apr 24, 2008 #7
    Plus google has ads on thousands of other websites. Like PF :)

9. Apr 24, 2008 #8
  10. Apr 24, 2008 #9
    My point is basically that google makes tons and tons of money due to the completely flawed opinions of companies that online advertising is effective. Honestly, who actually reads the ads by google (like the one called "How to do Energy Healing?" at the top of my page right now) and is interested enough to click on it and eventually buy their product?

It just seems weird how google can be so successful due to the complete misconception that people care about google's ads.

11. Apr 24, 2008 #10
    You are misinformed. Google advertising, if done well, can be extraordinary for online stores. Online advertising will only increase. If it didn't work, then companies would have abandonded the idea years ago, they aren't stupid, it's a matter of looking at stats. I know many people who make a living off advertising their store correctly using google.

Each day there are tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions of google ad impressions. Even if just 1% of those get clicked, that is ALOT of money.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  12. Apr 24, 2008 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'm one of those who ignore adds - completely. I buy nothing as the result of an add, and in fact, I am less likely to buy something that is advertised. One could reason that if it's advertised - it's too expensive (got to pay for overhead like advertising) and it's probably not necessary.

13. Apr 24, 2008 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google ads are among the most effective. Much cheaper than large banner ads and ell targeted to specific search terms they are great for small companies.
    If you are selling a small windows library it's not very effective to make a TV commercial!

14. Apr 24, 2008 #13

Evo

What kind of company sells without advertising? Advertising can be in a trade journal, trade shows, magazines, newspapers, online, tv, billboards, etc...

15. Apr 24, 2008 #14

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

What you have to realize is that everyone thinks like this. I guarantee you that if you surveyed 100 people, 90+ would say they're not effected by advertising. Everyone wants to think this, myself included, so of course advertising companies know this. Mostly they work on subconscious principles, simply trying to put the brand name in your mind, make associations (beautiful girl = pepsi!) and get you to subconsciously choose their product.

16. Apr 24, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget that when you do a search for a particular product online, the first few hits at the top of the page, and all the ones down the right column are "Sponsored Links." Of course you click on those if they are selling the product you were searching for. For example, if I go searching online for surgical scrubs for work, all the major suppliers come up as sponsored links (of course I also get a bunch of hits for SCRUBS the TV show merchandise). I'm not going to ignore those links just because they're sponsored, especially when they're the ones advertising the cheapest prices (and certainly better than the brick and mortar stores here offer).

17. Apr 24, 2008 #16

Astronuc

Well, of course, in an economy driven by mass consumption, advertisements are certainly design to catch the consumer's attention and prompt the consumer to buy.

I attend technical meetings/conferences, but not tradeshows. I suppose if I'm interested in some technology, I'd contact people who likely use that technology and obtain information. With the internet, I can simply by-pass advertising and go directly to the technology of interest.

I generally ignore add in "magazines, newspapers, online, tv, billboards, . . ."

As for consumables, e.g. food, medicine, clothes, . . . I'd simply visit the appropriate store and buy whatever I needed. If I needed a car, I'd visit a preferred dealer and see what was available, or check a list online.

Actually, my wife does most of the purchasing of household needs.

We have used Consumer Reports in the past for some durable goods.

Otherwise, I prefer to see the product in person.

I generally avoid brand names. I prefer inexpensive stuff.

18. Apr 24, 2008 #17
    A key point with advertising is that you can only buy what is in the shops, and if a new
    product is not backed by big advertisng campaign, most stores will not touch it.

I expect google know most people will only use a tiny fraction of the 6 gig of email
    space, a few pennys worth, which is a small price to pay for a complete invasion of
    their privacy. Also they can target their advertising and pidgeon hole you into certain
    categories, such as "mug who will buy anything", they only have to find a few mugs to make it worthwhile.

19. Apr 24, 2008 #18
    Um--companies that sell things that are useful. Such as book publishers (when is the last time you saw a beautiful girl holding a new Quantum Field Theory book in a TV commercial?) or companies that make office supplies (when is the last time you saw a beautiful girl reloading an automatic pencil in a commercial?). Those companies don't really advertise in ANY medium.

20. Apr 24, 2008 #19
    Theres tons of ads for books such as that in Sky & Telescope and Astronomy Magazine.

21. Apr 24, 2008 #20
    No no, im pretty sure they have what could be a nice looking girl selling paper supplies. Instead; however, they put this girl in a stupid red staples polo shirt and slacks, and tell her to smile and sell paper supplies. The polo shirts always too big for her, and destroys any curves she might have. Thats exactly what I want to see on tv..............

Just put the damn girl in a nice dress and have her say whats being sold at the store. I dont want to see some ugly girl in an oversized polo shirt selling anything. I dont even want her on the tv. It reminds me of those fat women in underwear they had on those dove posters all around town. People complained and they took them all back down. Nasty.

Yep, sex sells. Im glad. We need ads like europe that have naked women selling things like perfume. Im not buying any, but god bless those ads.

Sexist? You bet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?