Explore Google's Book Search Feature for Free!

In summary, Google has a new feature that allows users to search the content of books, including full books and journals. However, some books may not be available due to copyright issues. It is also possible for distributed projects to create a copy of all the books scanned by Google. Some users have concerns about DRM and the control it gives to companies. Additionally, when searching for "epistemology," most of the books returned were from before 1920, leading to questions about the research and origins of ideas. This practice is still prevalent and known as philosophy of science. However, there are many books on the interpretation of quantum mechanics that may suggest otherwise.
turbo
Gold Member
I was not sure to put this post, since it could be of possible benefit to everyone here, but if the mods think it's advisable, I'm sure they'll put it someplace appropriate. Google has a new feature that let's you search the content of books. Sometimes it's only relevant excerpts and tables of content, but if you toggle the preference from "All Books" to "Full View Books", you can get to read entire books and journals.

It's pretty nice, although when I Googled "epistemology", almost all the books returned were from before 1920. That's a bit disturbing. Do people not bother researching the origins of the ideas underpinning their assumptions, or has that practice fallen out of favor, or is it perhaps practiced under another name?

Einstein's obituary for Ernst Mach said:
How does it happen that a properly endowed natural scientist comes to concern himself with epistemology? Is there not some more valuable work to be done in his specialty? That's what I hear many of my colleagues ask, and I sense it from many more. But I cannot share this sentiment. When I think about the ablest students whom I have encountered in my teaching—that is, those who distinguish themselves by their independence of judgment and not just their quick-wittedness—I can affirm that they had a vigorous interest in epistemology. They happily began discussions about the goals and methods of science, and they showed unequivocally, through tenacious defense of their views, that the subject seemed important to them.

Concepts that have proven useful in ordering things easily achieve such authority over us that we forget their earthly origins and accept them as unalterable givens. Thus they come to be stamped as "necessities of thought," "a priori givens," etc. The path of scientific progress is often made impassable for a long time by such errors. Therefore it is by no means an idle game if we become practiced in analyzing long-held commonplace concepts and showing the circumstances on which their justification and usefulness depend, and how they have grown up, individually, out of the givens of experience. Thus their excessive authority will be broken. They will be removed if they cannot be properly legitimated, corrected if their correlation with given things be far too superfluous, or replaced if a new system can be established that we prefer for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that:

a) Google's online library is not yet complete.
b) Some publishers have taken legal action to prevent Google from scanning their books.
c) Google cannot publish any books in entirety which are still under copyright.

The truth is that I don't think it'll take all that long for some distributed projects to completely slurp the entire contents of Google Print and produce an enormous, distributed copy of everything they've scanned, in entirety.

- Warren

Well I imagine DRM will provide some mechanism for subscription libraries with protected content, although I'm not to pleased about letting a company control what I do.

DRM's a joke, you realize.

- Warren

turbo-1 said:
Do people not bother researching the origins of the ideas underpinning their assumptions, or has that practice fallen out of favor, or is it perhaps practiced under another name?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
It's pretty nice, although when I Googled "epistemology", almost all the books returned were from before 1920. That's a bit disturbing. Do people not bother researching the origins of the ideas underpinning their assumptions, or has that practice fallen out of favor, or is it perhaps practiced under another name?

A gazillion authors of a gazillion books on the interpretation of quantum mechanics might beg to differ.

1. How does Google's Book Search feature work?

Google's Book Search feature works by using a combination of technology and human input to scan and digitize physical books from various libraries and publishers. The scanned books are then made available for free on Google's Book Search website.

2. Can I access all books for free on Google's Book Search?

No, not all books are available for free on Google's Book Search. The availability of books depends on their copyright status and whether the publishers have given permission for them to be digitized and made available for free.

3. How can I search for a specific book on Google's Book Search?

You can search for a specific book on Google's Book Search by typing in the title, author, or any relevant keywords in the search bar on the website. You can also use the advanced search feature to narrow down your search results.

4. Can I download books from Google's Book Search?

Yes, you can download books from Google's Book Search in PDF format. However, not all books are available for download. Some books may only be available for preview or snippet view.

5. Is Google's Book Search feature available in all countries?

Yes, Google's Book Search feature is available in most countries. However, some books may not be available in certain countries due to copyright restrictions.