Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google Books

1. Dec 12, 2006 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I was not sure to put this post, since it could be of possible benefit to everyone here, but if the mods think it's advisable, I'm sure they'll put it someplace appropriate. Google has a new feature that lets you search the content of books. Sometimes it's only relevant excerpts and tables of content, but if you toggle the preference from "All Books" to "Full View Books", you can get to read entire books and journals.

It's pretty nice, although when I Googled "epistemology", almost all the books returned were from before 1920. That's a bit disturbing. Do people not bother researching the origins of the ideas underpinning their assumptions, or has that practice fallen out of favor, or is it perhaps practiced under another name?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that:

a) Google's online library is not yet complete.
    b) Some publishers have taken legal action to prevent Google from scanning their books.
    c) Google cannot publish any books in entirety which are still under copyright.

The truth is that I don't think it'll take all that long for some distributed projects to completely slurp the entire contents of Google Print and produce an enormous, distributed copy of everything they've scanned, in entirety.

- Warren

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Well I imagine DRM will provide some mechanism for subscription libraries with protected content, although I'm not to pleased about letting a company control what I do.

5. Dec 12, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DRM's a joke, you realize.

- Warren

6. Dec 12, 2006 #5
    Philosophy of Science is a relatively popular subject here, mainly thanks to Yeshayahu Leibowitz.

7. Dec 12, 2006 #6
    A gazillion authors of a gazillion books on the interpretation of quantum mechanics might beg to differ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?