Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Google calculator with units

1. Jul 2, 2004 #1
    Google has a neat calculator built into its search box. There is a good summary here:

Copy and paste the following queries to see it work:

Arithmetic operations:

3*sin( 54 degrees )
    2*log ( e / pi )

Complex numbers:

Unit conversions:

12 miles in kilometers
    2400 joules in btu
    34 degrees in radians

And now, the coolest part: physics calculations with universal constants and automatic units manipulation:

1 cm^2 * 15 feet per second in gallons per hour

1 kg * speed of light ^2

1/sqrt( permeability of free space * permittivity of free space )

sqrt( 2e-7 N/m * 2*pi * 1 m / permeability of free space )

( ( gravitational constant * earth mass / ( 2*pi / day )^2 )^(1/3) - radius of earth ) in miles

I know there are other tools out there that do this sort of thing (such as my TI-89), but having it on Google makes fun and easy to use for quick calculations.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2004 #2
    Yeah that is pretty slick eh? You can also type in common equations and google will display a link to more information on it.
  4. Jul 28, 2004 #3
  5. Jul 28, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been using the Google calculator here on PF for a long time now. If someone asks a question like "how is the speed of light related to [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex]" I will reply with something like this:

I feel that this not only introduces the viewer to the Google calculator, it also helps him understand the relationship more numerically than symbolically. Altogether, Google's done us all a huge service.

- Warren
  6. Jul 28, 2004 #5
    Lately I've been wanting a Google currency converter, so I could enter queries like:

25 GBP in USD
    10000 yen in USD

et cetera. I know there are sites and programs that will do those conversions, but Google is just so darn convenient.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?