Google Chrome Virus: Adware Infecting Devices & Closing Spam Sites

In summary, the widespread adware infecting chrome on nearly all devices is being defeated by Chrome by closing spam sites immediately after they are opened. However, the virus still manages to open them for a few milliseconds. Google has released a warning about these sites, but users are free to ignore it if they wish.
Suyash Singh
I noticed this widespread adware infecting chrome on nearly all devices.
For a few days though i have noticed that on all the devices when the spam sites are opened by that virus they close immediately.
Is it that chrome got to know about it and has defeated it?
But why is the virus still able to open the sites even if for a few milliseconds?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Google Chrome's virus killing functionality is not as efficient as the virus itself, and as such it is unable to block the virus before it can open up. However, in my own experience, I have yet to come across this virus.

Likes Suyash Singh
Sometimes malware uses a particular browser feature like popup or popunder windows which the browser can stop. However, they find ways around it by making the code delay some seconds and then popup or popunder.

Google's search does try to warn users about some sites that have become infected and you are free to ignore or heed the warning.

Basically, the browser tries to stop the behavior if known to be common to malware but popup windows are also used by legitimate sites and so its tough the disable the feature without breaking stuff.

Likes Suyash Singh
ectranvagant said:
Google Chrome's virus killing functionality is not as efficient as the virus itself, and as such it is unable to block the virus before it can open up. However, in my own experience, I have yet to come across this virus.
As soon as i plug in the charger, spam sites open

jedishrfu said:
What charger?
battery charger

What security software do you use?

StevieTNZ said:
What security software do you use?
Quick heal

Being a Linux user. If I run into hinky site. And since my browser folder is in home folder with no special permissions involved.

I just rename the browser folder with the .old or .backup added on the end of the folder. Then restart the browser. Fresh virgin session again.
But I guess this a Windows centric issue?

My Acer C710 Chromebook that used to run ParrotOS version in ChromeOS. Well. I put her in developer mode. Physically disabled write protect. Installed John Lewis Bios using Crosh Terminal in ChromeOS Browser, After 1st verifying that write protect was disabled with some bash command syntax . In Crosh terminal.

Then I dd'd a downloaded , md5sum checked, copy of a AntiX Linux Iso to like a 2 gig fat32 pen drive. Picked USB boot I now had as a choice when powering on the Chromebook. Installed it. Not a problem with any Google-Chrome, Chromium, or any other browser now in my home folder.

Even when Mistakes are made by me. Just rename, restart, delete, and move on.

Likes Suyash Singh

1. What is a Google Chrome virus?

A Google Chrome virus is a type of malicious software that infects the Chrome browser and causes unwanted and harmful effects. This can include displaying spam ads, redirecting to suspicious websites, and collecting personal information without the user's consent.

2. How does the adware virus infect devices?

The adware virus typically infects devices through downloads from untrusted sources, such as fake software updates or free downloads from unknown websites. It can also be spread through malicious email attachments or by clicking on suspicious links.

3. How can I tell if my device has been infected with the adware virus?

Some common signs of an adware virus infection include a sudden increase in pop-up ads, redirects to spam websites, and changes in browser settings without your permission. You may also notice a decrease in device performance or unusual programs running in the background.

4. Can the adware virus be removed?

Yes, the adware virus can be removed from your device. You can try using an anti-malware software to scan and remove any malicious programs. It is also recommended to reset your browser settings to their default and avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading from untrusted sources in the future.

5. How can I protect my device from the adware virus?

To protect your device from the adware virus, it is important to practice safe browsing habits. This includes being cautious of clicking on suspicious links or downloading from unknown sources, keeping your browser and anti-malware software up-to-date, and regularly scanning your device for any potential threats.