What is the baseline date for the Google default time format?

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding a 10-digit number in an .xml file that represents time. It was determined that the number likely represents Unix time, which is the number of seconds since 00:00 on January 1, 1970. The conversation also touched on the challenges of converting between different dating systems and resources available for conversion.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How to decode Google time into Human.
Hi,
Just opened some .xml file in which time is given as a 10 digit number starting with 1570. I assume it represents the number of seconds from some baseline date. Anyone know if this is it and if so, the baseline date?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Thank you. Just looked it up , it is the number of seconds from/since January 1 00:00 . I will start using it ;).
Yes, Unix time is the number of seconds since 00:00 on 1 January 1970. Note that leap seconds are ignored i.e. each day in Unix time is exactly 86,400 seconds.

Likes WWGD
pbuk said:
Yes, Unix time is the number of seconds since 00:00 on 1 January 1970. Note that leap seconds are ignored i.e. each day in Unix time is exactly 86,400 seconds.
Yes, thanks, my bad, I just edited. it seems kind of a pain to go back and forth between the dating systems. I guess we divide by 31557600 and add the quotient to 1970, then we kind of run into issues with the remainder since months have unequal number of days. Not impossible but doesn't seem straightforward. Sure someone has come up with a nice enough translator. Edit: Will look one up and post it if I find one when I get more time.

There's actually a cunning formula which I can't lay my hands on at the moment, but conversion functions exist for most languages, or you can use any of many online converters (search 'unix converter' or 'epoch converter').

Edit: or use this one:

Last edited:
Likes WWGD

1. What is the default time format used by Google?

The default time format used by Google is the 24-hour clock, also known as military time. This means that the time is represented by four digits, with the first two digits indicating the hour and the last two digits indicating the minutes. For example, 1:30 PM would be represented as 13:30 in the 24-hour clock format.

2. Can I change the default time format in Google?

Yes, you can change the default time format in Google. This can be done by going to your Google account settings and selecting the time format that you prefer. You can choose between the 12-hour clock format and the 24-hour clock format.

3. Why does Google use the 24-hour clock format as the default?

Google uses the 24-hour clock format as the default because it is the international standard for time representation. This format is used in many countries around the world and helps to avoid confusion when communicating across different time zones.

4. How do I convert the default time format in Google from 24-hour to 12-hour clock?

To convert the default time format in Google from 24-hour to 12-hour clock, you can go to your account settings and select the 12-hour clock format. Alternatively, you can use an online time converter tool to easily convert the time from 24-hour to 12-hour format.

5. Does the default time format in Google change based on my location?

Yes, the default time format in Google may change based on your location. For example, if you are in a country that primarily uses the 12-hour clock format, Google may show the time in this format as the default. However, you can always change the default time format in your account settings to your preferred format.