Google Earth - Invasion of Privacy?

In summary: The husband's car was parked outside the house of a woman he had been having an affair with. -The wife recognized the car and called in divorce lawyers. -The implication is that what you do in public view is not protected by privacy. -The ruling throws out the couple's privacy claim. -It's unclear how often Street View is updated, and some people have complained that their personal information has been exposed. -Some people are worried that the ruling will lead to increased privacy violations.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
A FURIOUS wife has called in divorce lawyers after spotting her husband’s car parked outside another woman’s house — on Google.

She saw the Range Rover while using the internet giant’s new Street View service to snoop on a female friend’s home.

The hubby had claimed he was away on business, but his missus recognised his motor immediately because of its blinged-up hubcaps.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2350771.ece

Gee and my car is parked in my driveway on Google Earth too.

Given that it is a snapshot of sorts at some rolling time, time not specified, it's hard to imagine that privacy is being violated, if people are parking cars on public motorways, or stepping on to public streets from a sex shop.

The idea that there is a consequential liability associated with impersonal bulk imaging is a trifle difficult to grasp, but then again who would have thought that McDonald's might be sued for someone spilling their own coffee in their lap after getting it from a drive thru?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
LowlyPion said:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2350771.ece

Gee and my car is parked in my driveway on Google Earth too.

Given that it is a snapshot of sorts at some rolling time, time not specified, it's hard to imagine that privacy is being violated, if people are parking cars on public motorways, or stepping on to public streets from a sex shop.

The idea that there is a consequential liability associated with impersonal bulk imaging is a trifle difficult to grasp, but then again who would have thought that McDonald's might be sued for someone spilling their own coffee in their lap after getting it from a drive thru?

Poor guy :rofl:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7898407.stm
A legal claim by a Pittsburgh couple that Google's Street View feature violated their privacy has been thrown out by a federal judge.

Christine and Aaron Boring sued the search giant after photos of their home appeared on the free mapping program.

There are many other cases..

Last edited by a moderator:
The implications of this are wide ranging, but it seems pretty clear that what you do in public view is not protected by privacy.

I have a hard time trying to an invasion of privacy. I've heard a few stories and personally I think they are quite entertaining. The fact of the matter is that Google Earth doesn't intentionally seek out cheating husbands or old men walking out of strip clubs. Besides, these people are doing it in broad daylight, for everyone to see.

Wow, he went to a sex shop. I said "sex shop" -giggle giggle giggle... :rolleyes:

It would be nice if we, americans, just cut the crap about sex and realize it's a normal part of life. Why should this guy have to hide his face because he went to a sex shop? He didn't go to a whore house...

russ_watters said:
The implications of this are wide ranging, but it seems pretty clear that what you do in public view is not protected by privacy.
You are no longer safe in your backyard surrounded by a privacy fence.

How often are they updated? I saw someone's car which I know they have had for about a month or less parked at their home.

Last edited:
Evo said:
You are no longer safe in your backyard surrounded by a privacy fence.

I'm sure it's still safe to sunbathe. Though the idea that you might hide a swimming pool from the town assessor has sure come a cropper. Unless you get a Google Camouflage Cover.

Cheney apparently had his home blurred out of Google Earth. Apparently it posed some kind of security risk in his fantasies.

On the flip side of things maybe Google should advertise they are picturing a certain area, and if you want to come outside and be part of the photo ... those exhibitionists out there can come be part of an informal census event, or if they don't want their underwear flapping on the line, or garbage cans spilled in front they can go out to tidy up their public presentation before the yellow and white subcompact comes rolling through the neighborhood.

Google shouldn't have to tell anyone anything. You're out in public when you set foot out your doorstep.

I understand the privacy arguments, but I personally hope the new technology ushers in a cultural change of acceptance, and a consequent fall of the Moral Majority and its idiotic church-mandated vice laws. In a post-Google world, you can sunbathe nude, or go to a sex shop if your Magic Dolphin dies, without anyone really giving a damn.

I've never understood why many human behaviors, done every day by virtually all humans, are still widely considered to be "shocking."

- Warren

chroot said:
I understand the privacy arguments, but I personally hope the new technology ushers in a cultural change of acceptance, and a consequent fall of the Moral Majority and its idiotic church-mandated vice laws. In a post-Google world, you can sunbathe nude, or go to a sex shop if your Magic Dolphin dies, without anyone really giving a damn.

I've never understood why many human behaviors, done every day by virtually all humans, are still widely considered to be "shocking."

- Warren
Because a person is intelligent but people are idiots.

chroot said:

- Warren

You're hoping that, by giving them better tools to stick their nose into your business, they'll won't get any feeling of accomplishment and will find something more fun to do?

Or that, by giving them so much fodder to stick their nose in, they'll become overwhelmed and give up in frustration because they can't keep up with it all?

I don't think gossip is something that can be phased out by technology.

As Dolores Keane said, Irish women can gossip, even though it's considered sinful, because they confess and ask forgiveness beforehand.

To get caught leaving a sex shop just at the moment the google camera car driving past is pretty unlucky really.

what's wrong with going to a sex shop?

When its on google Earth and the girlfriend/wife/etc sees it. Its the equivilant to being caught wanking by your mum. Everybody does it the act but situation is still bloody embarrasing.

chances are that if i went into a sex shop my gf would go with... actually never been into one without my gf. What you're saying is that it is socially unacceptable (even though people do it) and others have also noted that this "invasion of privacy" might actually make socially unacceptable things more socially acceptable and then you wouldn't have to be embarrassed about visiting your local Stinky Pinky. Just like 100 years ago it was taboo to see a woman's ankles... :smile: You got to love those sexy ankles!

Poor ole townies, all that temptation on your door steps, once us bumpkins were told it is wrong to sleep with sheep we were left with no vices.

Thats far too complicated for my thinking, its just from my experience people find anything in the trouser department to be embarrasing.

The other thing I find amusing is people who get redfaced and flustered asking for condoms in chemists. WHY?! they are the ones who are getting some!

xxChrisxx said:
The other thing I find amusing is people who get redfaced and flustered asking for condoms in chemists.
A man with a nervous twitch in his eye finds that aspirin helps.
So he is sitting there going through his pockets pulling out handfulls of condoms before finding an aspirin.
His friend asks: Why all the condoms?
Have you ever tried buying aspirin in the chemists when you can't stop winking ? He replies.

evo said:
you are no longer safe in your backyard surrounded by a privacy fence.

LowlyPion said:
I'm sure it's still safe to sunbathe.

Depends on your definition of "safe"

52° 4'43.35"N 4°19'58.00"E

epenguin said:
How often are they updated? I saw someone's car which I know they have had for about a month or less parked at their home.

As far as I know there is no preset frequency. I have not seen a place updated more often than about once per year. Doesn't mean no such areas.

So people can identify individual cars.

And still can't find Bin Ladin. :(

Alfi said:
So people can identify individual cars.

And still can't find Bin Ladin. :(

Maybe when they get Google Street Street Maps Balochistan mapped he will be wearing a Waldo hat peeking from a cave?

mgb_phys said:
A man with a nervous twitch in his eye finds that aspirin helps.
So he is sitting there going through his pockets pulling out handfulls of condoms before finding an aspirin.
His friend asks: Why all the condoms?
Have you ever tried buying aspirin in the chemists when you can't stop winking ? He replies.
A woman on the beach wants to go in the water, but she's afraid someone will steal her cigarette. Her friend tells her that she puts her cigarette in a condom which she wears on a chain around her neck when she swims. So she goes to the pharmacy for a condom. The clerk asks her what size and she says "Big enough for a Camel."

That story from the Sun in the OP is a hoax

http://idiotforever.wordpress.com/2009/03/31/how-i-duped-the-sun/

I also got lucky because The Sun is a bunch of fools. The picture I sent wasn’t even a street view. I don’t even know if the picture was of an apartment building. It could be a commercial building for all I know. I just zoomed into London (because that’s the biggest city I know) and picked Victoria Street (because Victoria Beckham is a little bit attractive). Then I looked for some parked cars. I guess The Sun didn’t include the Street View picture in their story because they knew it wasn’t a Street View Picture at all and they just wanted to write a fun juicy story.

Well, I got to say... From the perspective of a female, I don't like google maps very much. I have been stalked before, and it isn't fun. And I have been threatened on the internet, although the people I feared most on the internet didn't have enough personal information to be risky. It used to be hard to get people's information, but nowadays, you just need a little bit of information, a little bit of money, and the internet.

I have tried very hard to keep my personal info off the internet, and it seems it is getting harder and harder each year to keep up with it. No one asks for permission.

I have a hard time understanding the internet generation today, posting all their info on myspace, facebook, youtube, etc. I guess it takes losing your privacy before you see this as an invasion, I don't know. If they keep it at a low resolution, I don't have an issue with it, but some areas zoom in much closer than others, and street view definitely should not be in residential areas.

But that's me.

Greece puts brakes on Street View
Greece's data protection agency has banned Google from expanding its Street View service in the country, pending "additional information" from the firm.

... Authorities want to know how long the images would be kept on Google's database and what measures it will take to make people aware of privacy rights.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8045517.stm

It goes on to say that one neighborhood in England (Milton Keynes) blocked the Google car from taking the photos, because of concerns for facilitating crime. I'm not quite sure I grasp that level of xenophobia.

Borek said:
Depends on your definition of "safe"

52° 4'43.35"N 4°19'58.00"E

:!)

Too funny!

LowlyPion said:
It goes on to say that one neighborhood in England (Milton Keynes) blocked the Google car from taking the photos, because of concerns for facilitating crime. I'm not quite sure I grasp that level of xenophobia.
Especially in a country with 2 CCTV cameras/person - it's amazing there is any crime at all.

Dutch muggers caught on Google street view camera
"The picture was taken just a moment before the crime," a police spokesman said.

In March, the victim recognised himself and the two robbers while surfing Google Maps, which has a "Street View" feature allowing users to see images of buildings. The images are usually taken by a camera mounted on a car.
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSLJ87085420090619

1. What is Google Earth and how does it invade privacy?

Google Earth is a virtual globe, map, and geographic information program that allows users to view satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, and more. It invades privacy by collecting and displaying detailed information about people's homes, neighborhoods, and daily activities without their consent.

2. How does Google Earth collect data for its maps?

Google Earth collects data through a variety of sources, including satellite imagery, aerial photography, and user-generated content. It also uses advanced technologies such as LiDAR and photogrammetry to create 3D maps. Additionally, it collects data from users through its Street View cars and mobile mapping apps.

3. Can individuals request for their information to be removed from Google Earth?

Yes, individuals can request for their information to be removed from Google Earth. They can use the "Report a problem" feature on the Google Earth website to request for the removal of specific images or locations. However, this process may take some time as it requires manual review by Google's team.

4. Are there any laws or regulations that protect individuals from Google Earth's invasion of privacy?

There are no specific laws or regulations that directly address Google Earth's invasion of privacy. However, there are existing privacy laws and regulations, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Europe and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) in the US, that may apply to the collection and use of personal information by Google Earth.

5. How can individuals protect their privacy while using Google Earth?

Individuals can protect their privacy while using Google Earth by adjusting their privacy settings on the platform. They can also avoid sharing their personal information or location on public platforms, such as social media, that can be accessed by Google Earth. Additionally, they can use tools such as virtual private networks (VPNs) to mask their IP addresses and prevent their online activities from being tracked by Google Earth.

Back