Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google 'Easter Eggs'

1. Aug 19, 2003 #1
    www.google.com

type in either

French Military Victories

or

Weapons of Mass Destruction

And click the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' button. Two very clever responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2003 #2
    Those are quite humorous, although they had already been mentioned in another thread. I wonder if anyone knows of more?

4. Aug 19, 2003 #3
    Those are the only two I've ever come across. I wonder how one would find such things...

5. Aug 19, 2003 #4
    The only way I can think of..

...would be to perform a Google search.

6. Aug 19, 2003 #5
    hahahaha yeah i suppose.

But the chances of running into something like that are slim to nil, unless you know what to look for.

7. Aug 21, 2003 #6
    yes and who regularly clicks the 'im feeling lucky' button?

8. Aug 21, 2003 #7
    OK people let's investigate.

I found one (kinda)

typing in bill gates gives you the microsoft page.

sounds normal yes but think about it..............shouldn't occur his name isn't on it.

It's a pay off!

google sucks brings up this weird page:

http://www.google-sucks.org/

not that it's setup but weird anyways.

9. Aug 30, 2003 #8
    BiologyForums,

Google does more than just look for certain words on a page and link to it. It uses a system of crosslinking..it finds links to the page used in the same context as as keywords, and it also uses how it's linked to other pages for a rating system. And there's stuff that they keep secret.

10. Aug 31, 2003 #9
    i don't think Google was actually responsilbe for the 'weapons of mass destruction' and 'french military victories' jokes, anyone can use googles algorithms to make these things happen. it's just because when you press 'i'm feeling lucky' you get sent to the site with the most hits. so what you do is you create a site that can look like an error page, then post the address on ALOT of forums and send it to alot of people, then eventually when you search for the key words pressing i'm feeling lucky will send you to that page as it has the most hits.

or something similar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?