Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google health

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    What do you guys think about this new service ? Will you consider using it ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    gees---those guys are going to start a cell phone service and a real estate company before too long

have you got a link?

"Google Docs" is not it (hopefully that's not the one you mean)

_________________________-

https://www.google.com/health/html/tour/index.html

what the .... are doing?!!!

"Put your entire life from birth to death, and everything in between on the web, (we hope with us) for the world to use someday!"

(paraphrased)

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  4. May 22, 2008 #3
    Google Health Tour

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    Frickin' FINALLY! I get tired of going from doc to doc and having to fill out the same god damned forms every time. Just give me something to print out and I'll be happy.

6. May 22, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, no way!

It's especially a bad idea as long as insurance companies can reject people for pre-existing conditions, IMO.

7. May 22, 2008 #6
    yeah!--you go see a doctor and tell him that you didn't fill out HIS form; and then tell him to go online to get the one the YOU'VE made out already

8. May 22, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Anyone that uses an online service to post personal medical information has got to be crazy.

9. May 22, 2008 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using Google Health indicates Mental Health problems. SO that act alone will disqualify you from getinng insurance :smile:

10. May 22, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

11. May 22, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe we should add it as a diagnostic criteria when the DSM V gets published.

I would NEVER save medical information online. I don't care what Google says its privacy policy is...those things are always prone to revision and has no effect on hackers. We go to great lengths within our hospital system to ensure patient medical information is isolated from the internet, or only transferred over secure networks (i.e. to transfer digital x-ray images from a radiologist to a physician), and never stored on any personal computers, someone would have to be a complete idiot to want to put their medical information out on the internet where anyone could potentially gain access to it, especially a company whose revenue is based on advertising (their interest in protecting your privacy ends if they can't sell ads to you based on the content of your file).

12. May 22, 2008 #11
    Have you ever filled out any of these forms? They are all the same. Address, phone, contacts, insurance info, pre-existing conditions, etc., etc.

Handing someone a chart with all of it already filled out -- typed -- will be a lot better.

Especially when it becomes more popular and doctors get used to seeing the format from GH.

13. May 22, 2008 #12
    OK.........try it the very next time you have a doctors appt.---then remember to come back here and tell us how it went.

14. May 22, 2008 #13

Art

My only hospital / doctor's record was being born :biggrin:

15. May 22, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you want to save that information online though? If you just want a standardized form, push for a standardized form you can download and save off-line. But, they aren't all the same. Doctors ask a variety of different questions relevant to their specialty. For example, the gynecologist isn't going to ask if you are seeing spots, but the opthamologist better.

16. May 22, 2008 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You've got to be joking. You're going to risk someone accessing all of your medical information so you don't have to spend 5 minutes filling out a form? How often do you go to a new doctor and have to do this? I just did it for the first time in 15 years.

If you want a pre-filled form, make one and take it to the doctor. I doubt very many doctors are going to go for this what with HIPPA and lawsuits. Heck, my doctor won't even allow e-mailing of BLANK forms they are so strict.

When I recently had to have the results of a minor test which was negative (nothing wrong) sent to a different doctor. They burned the test onto a CD, I had to go there with ID and sign it out and hand deliver it to the other doctor. They refused to transfer it by any means for security reasons. If my files get into the wrong hands, it's my fault.

17. May 22, 2008 #16
    I could post all of my medical info on physicsforums for the world to see for all I care. That could be because I don't really have a medical history.

18. May 22, 2008 #17
    I am a Google addict ;)

If that saves time + looks pretty; why not do it?

I don't think anyone will put his/her real identity there ...

(But, I am just way too young to spend time on it .. )

19. May 22, 2008 #18
    When I was trying to treat my depression I went to see a therapist + several different doctors for the pills. It added up.

I also have some weak sauce teeth so I've been to several docs for things like crowns, root canals, and of course pulling wisdom teeth.

My mom had an injury at work, so now whenever I go to with her to a doc, it's usually a new one that I have to fill out the same damn forms over and over. "Where does it hurt? How did the accident happen? Date of accident?"

Moreover, if I were to ever get in something serious and need to go to the ER, I don't have time to fill out whether or not I am allergic to X or whatever. If there was a way to just pull it up off the web, I'd be glad.

I don't see what the big deal is with medical information. Oh noes! Someone might find out I had testicular torsion when I was 7! What can they possibly do with that except solicit me for drugs?

Yes, the lawsuits would be the main reason docs wouldn't sign on to this, not because of security risks. I mean honestly, people see your medical record whenever you go to a doc. Nurses do. They could easily just spread it word of mouth, but nobody cares enough to do so.

I think that as this becomes more popular more docs will start using it, though.

20. May 22, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But PL, that's all fine and well...you're a young man. But what happens when you're older - imagine you're married and have just had your first kid - and you get turned down for life insurance because you've had depression? And if your health history is easily available to employers (illegally, perhaps...? Who's to know?), can they refuse to hire you because of your health history? Of course they would never say why you don't get the job. You would just have a hard time getting hired, and never know why.

The real problem here is insurance companies. What could you do if there was something in those records (e.g., depression) that prevents you from obtaining insurance or even employment?

21. May 22, 2008 #20
    I'm moving out of the USA as soon as I can, hopefully for graduate school even. I am done with the BS here such as the incredible animosity towards science. Let the people here rot for all I care. When things change I can come back.

Why would it be easily available to employers? Or anybody that I don't want having it? Easy system for preventing theft:

Doctor sends request to your Google Health account. You approve the request. Done. That means you get to choose who sees your stuff. A hassle? Not really, considering you have the internet on your frickin' phone these days. Give it a few more years and you'll have the internet on your socks.

This leaves the possibility of someone getting my password. But it doesn't matter, because someone could also get my SSN, my PIN, whatever. I've never had a problem with those, so I don't see why I would now.

Why would they see it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?