Google password security

• Thread starter btb4198
  • Start date
So I had a friend that was catfish and he gave the catfish his google email. Some how the catfish was able to hack into his google account. my question is how ?
They did not know his password, so they would had had to tried thousands of combinations before guessing it right, why did Google not lock his account after the 1st 3 tries ?
Also Google suppose to sent a text message when someone log in to your account from another computer and google also never did that .
how can this be ?
what code algorithm could that have used to get his password? what code hacking technique could they used to trick Google ?
they did get in to his account, but my question is how ?

phyzguy

Science Advisor
How could we possibly know the answer? Maybe your friend wrote the password down and catfish found it. Maybe your friend used an easy to guess password, like "password" or his child's birthday. Maybe your friend told his wife the password and catfish is having an affair with your friend's wife and she let it slip during "pillow talk". Maybe...

Sorry just find to get helpful information.

is there away to hack google ? like would google not time off after 3 wrong logins?
also is there a way to login to google with out getting a notifications?

There are many darknet databases of email to password tables so given that info it’s possible for the catfish to find many potential passwords and people being what they are will tend to use the same ones over and over or use an easily discernible password pattern that the catfish could figure out.

I remember there’s a site called “have I been pwned?”that will take your email and check it against these databases to see if it’s been compromised in some recent hack.

In this kind of case, I would also be suspicious of the website I provided above even. It’s always a good thing to check if it’s been hacked via news reports ala google searches on the name. Nowadays websites fall into disuse or lose their domain name and other questionable entities latch on to it and you wouldn’t want to give away your email for that.

In closing, no one should condone hacking for any reason. Ultimately, people get hurt emotionally, financially or physically and that is just plain wrong. So without further ado and since there’s nothing more to add here, we will close this thread.

Thank you all for contributing.

Jedi