Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google ranking and money

1. Dec 21, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it true that websites that pay google money, will end up in the top of the ranking when doing a search?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Google's pay service is Adsense. In no way does this service reflect what is displayed in its search results. Adsense allows you to be put in the sponsered links section of the page. Unlike, msn, yahoo and numerous other search engine, google doesn't like to polute their results with junk.

Btw have you used google's new book service? They are borrowing books from various universites and scanning them online so you can quickly search through them.

http://print.google.com/

Here is an example of "War and Peace":

http://print.google.com/print?id=M8...nd+peace&pg=3&sig=mEB9fnpNvifxvR_cr39ExaQepew

It is currently in beta, but looking very promising

4. Dec 21, 2004 #3
    the new service looks cool :)

5. Dec 21, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See, I knew I was right :approve: although SOMEONE.... is not convinced :rolleyes:

6. Dec 21, 2004 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean he hasn't yet learned you're always right?! All the more reason to deprecate him. :wink:

7. Dec 22, 2004 #6
    Ha!...I will have to start reading the Gen. Tech. (and Software! :wink:) forums more often. :smile:

8. Dec 22, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*sigh* just now we and a friend had a 3 hour discussion that Heisenberg proved that when a tree falls in an empty forest it won't make a sound, since humans create their own reality :uhh: ...he's still in the process of learning I'm always right, but enough on that :rolleyes: it would be a boring world if there would be noone to disprove you :tongue:

9. Dec 22, 2004 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Heh, there is no point in being right unless there is someone around to be wrong!

10. Dec 23, 2004 #9

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A man goes deep into the forest where his wife/gf cannot hear him.
    If he voices an opinion...
    Is he still wrong?

:biggrin:

11. Dec 28, 2004 #10
    Google seems to be coming up with alot of new services everytime. I guess that is what will google above the other emerging engines.

I am trying to understand where the other posts after the google thing are leading. I'm totally lost.

12. Dec 28, 2004 #11
    Mentors are just crazy. :smile:

13. Dec 28, 2004 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aren't inside jokes great? :biggrin:

14. Dec 28, 2004 #13
    I don't think these jokes are inside anymore.

15. Dec 28, 2004 #14
    joke? sounds like a war to me.

16. Jan 6, 2005 #15
    This Google Print sounds like they are saying "hey, now you can search for books on amazon.com and from already accessible online libraries straight from your trusted name in online searching service: GOOGLE!!!!" :biggrin:

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity
    --Albert Einstein

17. Jan 6, 2005 #16
    Google's pay per placement is called adwords, adsense is the technology behind the text ads here. Think of it as adwords is for the advertisers and adsense is for the publishers. Also something to remember is that fact that adword campaigns don't affect the normal search index. It only affects how it's shown in the "sponsored link" column on google.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?