Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google Search PhysicsForums Virus Attack

1. Jun 3, 2004 #1

(Q)

While searching a topic on Google, I ran across a link that lead to Physicsforums so I clicked the link.

The next thing I knew, my computer was under massive attack. Viruses were being delivered as anti-virus warning windows began popping up. Spybots and Malware were being delivered - found over 60 in one pass. Programs of some sort were being installed. My browser opening page was highjacked.

So, what happened? Why did a link leading to this forum get re-directed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2004 #2
    Do you by any chance still have the original link from Google? I would email everything you have to chroot or Greg, just in case this is a problem with this site. I doubt it, though, and you can probably attribute what happened to spyware that was already installed on your computer.

4. Jun 3, 2004 #3
    that must have been scary

5. Jun 3, 2004 #4
    No, not scary at all, Web developers know well what problems they might be...

6. Jun 3, 2004 #5
    Give me that link, I want to know how dangerous it really is..

7. Jun 3, 2004 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Give me the link too. I'll believe it when I see it. The more likely senario being that you went to another, it openned a pop-under that you didn't see. Then you happened to go to click on a link to physicsforums when the pop-under initiated its attack against your computer.

8. Jun 3, 2004 #7

(Q)

9. Jun 4, 2004 #8
    Why didn't I see anything similar to what you said ??? (-.-)
    I guess those viruses have found out other sources, so they have gone chase them, and left this thread alone, (there is also possibility that they are afraid of Pattielli--(:redface:)) uhmm, it is internet though, there will never be anything so called statability, if viruses saw something strange/ irritative, they will choose other ways to run immediately, I addmit it is hard to catch them, and much harder if they are already well-trained (well-made) ones--again internet, it is internet ! yeah -- yeah --yeah!

10. Jun 4, 2004 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You must have gotten it for somewhere else. Even though I'm in linux have popup blocking, I would have seen a little icon telling me it blocked something.

11. Jun 4, 2004 #10
    I'm with (Q) on this matter. Here's what I did;

1) Deleted all TIF files
    2) Ran AdAware and removed all traces.
    3) Clicked on that link provided by (Q).

Two popup windows and WMP opened.
    Popup 1: Web Page Dialog for Westwood College Online.
    Popup 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer for Gambling.com

So, I closed the player and killed the two popups, then hit the refresh button on my browser window;

Three popups, WMP, and an Install program dialog box appeared. Killed all instances and ran AdAware again. Seven instances were detected, all cookies. Here's the list;

@advertising[1].txt
    @casalemedia[1].txt
    @centrport[2].txt
    @doubleclick[1].txt
    @mediaplex[1].txt
    @servedby.advertising[1].txt
    @z1.adserver[1].txt

Also, in checking the TIF folder I found the following executables, two of which I'm fairly certain are adware related from having dealt with them in the past;

np1
    np2
    si1
    si2
    install026

In short, I have every reason to believe that link is buggy.

12. Jun 4, 2004 #11
    I used to visit codeguru where I got much more than these things, and whenever i run adware, i see them even in my registry.
    By the way, after glancing at what you posted, I would highly recommend not to accept third-party cookies, then turn on the ad-block function available in your browser if that is not explorer. But if it is, you should google and download an ads-blocker for free, I am sorry i don't remember its URL but i am sure there are a lot!
    If you like or as a careful person, you should check the internet options and check "ask before accepting cookies". If there is something that you shouldn't put your trust on, just click NO and everything would be fine !

Hope that can be of help!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  13. Jun 4, 2004 #12

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It's a shame I never have to worry about these problems. I almost feel bad for you windows users. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. Jun 4, 2004 #13
  15. Jun 4, 2004 #14
    Thanks all, but I'm not asking how to avoid such things, merely supporting what (Q) said as being accurate and alerting anyone who may be interested in looking into this matter (Greg?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?