Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google Talk

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Google has started their own IM service called Google Talk. You too can join by having a gmail account and a Jabber client (http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml).

Username: <gmail account username>
    Password: <gmail account password>
    Server: talk.google.com

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Aug 24, 2005 #3
    So, it comes with talk function too. Has anyone tried it ? Is the quality of sound better than Skype?

5. Aug 24, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I'm guessing it is going to be about the same quality. VOIP has been pretty much standardized.

6. Aug 27, 2005 #5
    there is some indication that the quality will be better than skype. Knowing google and they way they operate I think that they will break down some of the barriers of skype, such as the limit on the number of people that can have a conversation.

At the moment google does not offer calls to landline phones (which does not bother me).

7. Sep 2, 2005 #6

ranger

Gold Member

This also works on linux using gaim. I think you have to get gaim-vv to add voice capability. Gaim -vv is a "friendly fork of the gaim project to concentrate on video and voice support".

Gaim-vv
    Gaim instructions

I'll have to give this a try when I get time.

8. Sep 7, 2005 #7
    I like Google Talk. What will come out next... webspace?

9. Sep 8, 2005 #8
    Googletalk is nice, the talk function is good.. IMO better than skype

10. Sep 8, 2005 #9

ranger

Gold Member

I hope so. They might even give us 2+GB of space (like their emial)

11. Sep 10, 2005 #10
    That would be great! Is this just a rumor or are they really going to do this in the future?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?