Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google's latest approach

1. Oct 31, 2006 #1
    Many websites use Google ads, even PF does.

Usually this includes a block with different areas to click on. It used to be the case that when there was a click area the mouse over icon, usually a finger pointer, would be enabled so that web users are warned that this is a clickable area. and they can decide freely if they want to go to the link or not.

Lately however there is a newr version (not yet in PF forums), now in between the ads the mouse over indication stays of. So now every time a web user clicks, in the understanding that he just positions the mouse to for instance do some scrolling the link gets activated even if he never intended to do so!.
    And thus more revenue for Google and probably more upset advertisers.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

... and more adsense revenue :tongue2: ?

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't it still obvious that it's an ad? I don't know if I even pay attention to the pointer changing, but the cat has occasionally clicked ads for me while jumping across the keyboard or playing with the mouse, and I just hit the "back" button or close the window it opens. Not sure why an accidental click would do anything for anyone.

5. Oct 31, 2006 #4
    This is very likely a browser effect and not anything to do with google. I've heard no news on this nor seen any option for it and I am using the most current code for adsense.

6. Oct 31, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You're kidding? Sniper kitty plays with your computer mouse? Too funny :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?