Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GooOS, the Google Operating System

1. Apr 12, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

So how exactly do pronouce it? Goose? Go^os?

I bet they'll use linux as the base of this new operating system since their whole site already runs on it.

4. Apr 13, 2004 #3
    Hey.. So what's the big deal about Googles new GMail? That it is free? Or is it the 1000 MB storage?

5. Apr 13, 2004 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It is free and 1GB, but there are ads based on the context of your emails. I'm sure there is going to be a daily upload or download cap of some sort though.

6. Apr 13, 2004 #5
    Man, I like the sound of this. I think when it opens, I will use it, and make that my new perm email.

I read a thing that says they may offer pop3 access.. You think they will? Is there a huge cost involved in that?

7. Apr 13, 2004 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If they allowed pop3, then their ad revenue would go down the drain.

8. Apr 13, 2004 #7
    Ahh.. Good point.

I have to say, I really wouldn't mind if they added their little ad-words ads to the bottom of my e-mail, like under a line:

-----------------

It wouldn't bother me.

9. Apr 13, 2004 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yeah, but I could easily write a one line program that truncates the end of my email from google.

10. Apr 14, 2004 #9
    well, adds based on your emails implies thay read them. Of course oficially no human reads you mails only specialized programs, but can you be sure of that? it also does not delete your emails from the database when you hit delete. all which can be serious privacy concerns ....

11. Apr 14, 2004 #10
    Hmm. I don't like the idea of it not deleting it when you hit delete. But,, if you have nothing to hide .. :)

12. Apr 14, 2004 #11
    Also, what do you think about it's spam protection>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?