Goos-Hanchen Shift Explained: Physical Interpretation & References

• Thread starter arash1r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary, the conversation discusses the Goos-Hänchen shift and its physical interpretation. The speaker is confused about how light can penetrate a less dense medium and is looking for references to further understand this concept. They also mention their difficulty in understanding the transit to the next medium.
arash1r
1.What is the Goos-Hnanchen shift and how i can find some physical interpretation about this concept?

2.whats physically happens when light path throughout the second medium?

3.please introduce me some references to know more about this shift.

Physics news on Phys.org
arash1r said:
1.What is the Goos-Hnanchen shift and how i can find some physical interpretation about this concept?

2.whats physically happens when light path throughout the second medium?

3.please introduce me some references to know more about this shift.

What reading have you done so far? Do you have *specific* questions about that reading?

Likes 1 person
hi berkeman ,this effect has confused me ,because i don't understand how it possible light to go less dense medium? from Snell's law we know undergoes of total internal reflection the light beam has to come back to the denser medium.so what is the physical interpretation of this penetration to the less dense medium? in other hand how it possible to have a clear meaning of this transit to the next medium?

1. What is the Goos-Hanchen shift?

The Goos-Hanchen shift is an optical phenomenon that occurs when a light beam is reflected from the surface of a dielectric material at an angle. This results in a lateral displacement of the beam, known as the Goos-Hanchen shift.

2. What is the physical interpretation of the Goos-Hanchen shift?

The Goos-Hanchen shift can be explained by the interaction between the incident light beam and the surface of the material. As the light beam enters the material, it interacts with the electrons in the material, leading to a lateral displacement of the beam.

3. How is the Goos-Hanchen shift measured?

The Goos-Hanchen shift can be measured by observing the lateral displacement of the reflected beam from the incident beam. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a prism or interferometer.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Goos-Hanchen shift?

The Goos-Hanchen shift has important applications in optics, specifically in the design of optical devices such as prisms and lenses. It can also be used in sensing applications, such as in measuring the thickness of thin films or detecting small changes in the refractive index of a material.

5. What are some important references for understanding the Goos-Hanchen shift?

Some important references for understanding the Goos-Hanchen shift include the original paper by Goos and Hanchen (1947), as well as more recent studies and reviews on the topic such as those by Artmann (1951) and Aiello et al. (2015).