Probability of Gorilla Stodging with Throwing Bananas

• Thread starter diracdelta
  • Start date
In summary, the gorilla in the zoo has not eaten all day and is feeling sad. Three kids throw him bananas with probabilities of 0.7, 0.6, and 0.8 respectively. If one banana reaches him, he has a 0.4 probability of becoming full, if two bananas reach him it is 0.7, and if three bananas reach him it is 0.9. The probability that the gorilla will become full and happy is the sum of the probabilities of exactly one banana reaching him multiplied by 0.4, exactly two bananas reaching him multiplied by 0.7, and exactly three bananas reaching him multiplied by 0.9.
diracdelta

Homework Statement

[/B]
Gorilla in a ZOO did not eat whole day, and he is sad. In one moment three kids simultaniusly throw him banana. Probability that first kid is going to throw banana to gorilla is 0,7, second 0,6 and third 0,8.
If one banana gets to the gorilla he will stodge with probability of 0,4, if two bannanas gets to him with 0,7 and if three, 0,9.

Find probabilty that gorila will stodge and be happy

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i should try to solve this by making tree diagram. But i don't understand next.
First i make first branch,

But the formulation of problem is what causing me problems.
What does one banana means. Does it means first kids banana, or one of all of those?

And after i make tree diagram, and suppose it means one bannan = first kids bananna, should i just multiply all probabilities with coresponding and then sum them?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the 'if one banana reaches the gorilla' onwards, it doesn't matter which bananas. It's just the number of bananas at that point.

How can i make tree diagram if i can't distinguish who's bannana is it?

diracdelta said:
How can i make tree diagram if i can't distinguish who's bannana is it?
Why is it essential to make a tree diagram?
What are the possibilities for the numbers of bananas thrown? What is the probability of each number?

Well, i also think of using Bayes formulae. I think of tree diagram because one colleague said he solve it with tree diagram :/

For writing simplicity I will call the banana the first kid throws to him, that gets to him with probability 0.7, "banana A", with 0.6, "banana B", and wity probability 0.8, "banana C".

The probability that exactly one banana gets to him is the sum of the probabilities that exactly one of those bananas get to him and the others don't.
So: the probability that banana A gets to him but bananas B and C do not is (0.7)(1- 0.6)(1- 0.8)= 0.5(0.4)(0.2)= 0.4. The probability that banana B gets to him but bananas A and C do not is (1- 0.7)(0.6)(1- 0.8)= (0.3)(0.6)(0.2)= 0.36. The probability that banana C gets to him but not bananas A or C do not is (1- 0.7)(1- 0.6)(0.8)= (0.3)(0.4)(0.8)= 0.096. The probability that exactly one banana gets to him is the sum of those: 0.4+ 0.36+ 0.096= 0.856.

Now, do the same for "exactly two bananas reach him" and "all three bananas reach him", multiply each of those by the probability he will "stodge" and add.

(And I can't help but wonder what "stodge" means!)

So, what i have done is next.
A={ Gorilla has studged}
Hi ={ i kids hit gorilla}

P(H0)= ... doesn't matter because later in formuale its multiplied with 0.

P(H1)=7/10 * 4/10 * 2/10 *(3choose1)
P(H2)=7/10 * 6/10 * 2/10 * (3choose2)
P(H3)= 7/10 * 6/10 * 8/10

P(A|H1)=0,4, P(A|H2)=0,7, P(A|H3)=0,8
P(A) = SUM(P(Hi)*P(A|Hi))= 0,5124

diracdelta said:
P(H1)=7/10 * 4/10 * 2/10 *(3choose1)
That's wrong. You've taken the probability that a particular banana is thrown, and not the other two, and multiplied by 3. But each has a different probability.

Mhm, how do i include possibilities of all being thrown?

HallsofIvy said:
For writing simplicity I will call the banana the first kid throws to him, that gets to him with probability 0.7, "banana A", with 0.6, "banana B", and wity probability 0.8, "banana C".

The probability that exactly one banana gets to him is the sum of the probabilities that exactly one of those bananas get to him and the others don't.
So: the probability that banana A gets to him but bananas B and C do not is (0.7)(1- 0.6)(1- 0.8)= 0.5(0.4)(0.2)= 0.4. The probability that banana B gets to him but bananas A and C do not is (1- 0.7)(0.6)(1- 0.8)= (0.3)(0.6)(0.2)= 0.36. The probability that banana C gets to him but not bananas A or C do not is (1- 0.7)(1- 0.6)(0.8)= (0.3)(0.4)(0.8)= 0.096. The probability that exactly one banana gets to him is the sum of those: 0.4+ 0.36+ 0.096= 0.856.

Now, do the same for "exactly two bananas reach him" and "all three bananas reach him", multiply each of those by the probability he will "stodge" and add.

(And I can't help but wonder what "stodge" means!)

Hey hallsofly! I thank you for replaying and for taking your time to write me that. I appreciated.
Stogde mean be full, full-fed.

My question now is next. I understand what you have done, i i will do now for options where two and three bananas get to him, but problem i last sentence, where i am asked to count probability where is he full-fed and happy. How do i do that? I really don't understand what it means.

Does it mean i need to count for two and three bananas and the one with highest percentage of getting to him is going to make him happy and full?

Thank you again for quick responses. You are the best!

You said "If one banana gets to the gorilla he will stodge with probability of 0,4, if two bannanas gets to him with 0,7 and if three, 0,9."

If "stodge" means "become happy", then multiply 0.4 times the probability exactly one banana is thrown to him, 0.7 times the probability exactly two bananas are thrown to him, 0.9 times the probability three are thrown to him, and add those.

Likes diracdelta

1. Why are gorillas kept in zoos?

Gorillas are kept in zoos for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is for conservation and protection of the species. Zoos also provide a safe and controlled environment for gorillas to live in, as their natural habitats are being threatened by deforestation and poaching. Additionally, zoos allow for research and education opportunities to learn more about these animals and their behavior.

2. How do zoos ensure the well-being of gorillas?

Zoos have strict guidelines and regulations in place to ensure the well-being of gorillas. This includes providing a proper diet, regular veterinary care, and enrichment activities to keep them mentally and physically stimulated. Zoos also have trained staff who closely monitor the gorillas' behavior and make sure they are living in a stress-free and comfortable environment.

3. What are some challenges faced by gorillas in zoos?

One of the biggest challenges faced by gorillas in zoos is the lack of space and natural environment compared to their wild counterparts. This can result in stress and behavioral issues for the gorillas. Another challenge is the potential for inbreeding, as zoos often have a limited number of gorillas and must carefully manage their breeding programs to maintain genetic diversity.

4. Do zoos help with the conservation of gorillas?

Yes, zoos play a crucial role in the conservation of gorillas. Many zoos participate in breeding programs and work closely with conservation organizations to support gorilla populations in the wild. Zoos also educate the public about the threats facing gorillas and how they can help with conservation efforts.

5. Are gorillas happy in zoos?

There is ongoing debate about the happiness of animals in captivity, but zoos take great care to ensure the well-being and happiness of their gorillas. They provide a safe and comfortable environment, a balanced diet, and opportunities for socialization and enrichment. However, it is important for zoos to continually assess and improve their practices to ensure the happiness of their gorillas.