Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Got a jury duty summons today

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I got a jury duty summons today :(

Ok if anyone has any plans to overthrow the US government, or just California's government, before October 11th, I won't stop you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2
    I had to do that once. For two weeks you go, sit around, and occasionally they bring you in a courtroom, describe a case, and ask if you think you need to be disqualified for any reason.

I would raise my hand and say that, as a zoobie, I couldn't guarrantee I would understand all the nuances of human speech and might misconstrue the testimony. They dismissed me in all cases.

I should think the same tack would work for a penguin.

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hate asian people.

There, don't pick me.

I actually did hear though that if you say your racist, you will get excused. I'm pretty sure I can get a delay though because im a student and all.

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I have all ways wanted to be on a jury and convict some one like Bill gates,
    even if he was innocent. :devil:

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Another reason western judicial systems are a great example of justice :uhh:

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fill the form out with a crayon and send it back. Make sure to explain that you are a penguin.

8. Sep 16, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

That reminds me, one our school trips this year involves us having to watch a criminal trial...

9. Sep 16, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Either action would do fine. But whats worse, someone who thinks they are a penguin or someone who uses crayons.

10. Sep 16, 2005 #9
    :rolleyes: Americans...

11. Sep 16, 2005 #10
    Come on Pengwuino. Anyone with half a brain can get out of Jury Duty, now I know you're a little underqualified for that, but you might get lucky!

12. Sep 16, 2005 #11
    Be prepared to be bored out of your mind.

13. Sep 16, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm a penguin, what the hell else do I need to say

14. Sep 16, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol yah. If you think Law & Order has anything to do with law & order.... you're going to be sad

15. Sep 16, 2005 #14
    Or write you are an engineer making a lot of money at a good company. Seriously, my parents and their friends who have good careers never get jury duty, they always have it called off because they are too smart or something :surprised

16. Sep 16, 2005 #15
    Here's a tip: Don't over-estimate the intelligence of the judicial process.

17. Sep 16, 2005 #16
    Depends, find out what the course case is before committing to really smart or really dumb. But definitely don't try to appear a 'middle' class person.

18. Sep 16, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Called off or dismissed by the lawyers?

19. Sep 17, 2005 #18

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I had jury duty last month. Each state does it their own way. In Florida, jury service is for 1 day or the length of the trial, if you are selected for one.
    We watched a movie and sat around waiting to be chosen. When a judge needs a jury, they call requesting some number of people. The people are chosen randomly by their juror number and sent into what I imagine is a very cold and scary place. One case was resolved without needing a jury, so they chose the number of people that would have been needed for the case and sent them home. I don't know anything else - I was one of the lucky ones who were sent home. :smile:

20. Sep 17, 2005 #19
    If I were chosen for jury duty I would want to go through with it, just because I think it'd be interesting.

21. Sep 17, 2005 #20
    What if you had to quite school for a semester to do it?

But hey, at least it's a job, right Smuf? :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?