1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Got a jury duty summons today

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I got a jury duty summons today :(

Ok if anyone has any plans to overthrow the US government, or just California's government, before October 11th, I won't stop you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2
    I had to do that once. For two weeks you go, sit around, and occasionally they bring you in a courtroom, describe a case, and ask if you think you need to be disqualified for any reason.

I would raise my hand and say that, as a zoobie, I couldn't guarrantee I would understand all the nuances of human speech and might misconstrue the testimony. They dismissed me in all cases.

I should think the same tack would work for a penguin.

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hate asian people.

There, don't pick me.

I actually did hear though that if you say your racist, you will get excused. I'm pretty sure I can get a delay though because im a student and all.

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I have all ways wanted to be on a jury and convict some one like Bill gates,
    even if he was innocent. :devil:

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Another reason western judicial systems are a great example of justice :uhh:

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fill the form out with a crayon and send it back. Make sure to explain that you are a penguin.

8. Sep 16, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

That reminds me, one our school trips this year involves us having to watch a criminal trial...

9. Sep 16, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Either action would do fine. But whats worse, someone who thinks they are a penguin or someone who uses crayons.

10. Sep 16, 2005 #9
    :rolleyes: Americans...

11. Sep 16, 2005 #10
    Come on Pengwuino. Anyone with half a brain can get out of Jury Duty, now I know you're a little underqualified for that, but you might get lucky!

12. Sep 16, 2005 #11
    Be prepared to be bored out of your mind.

13. Sep 16, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm a penguin, what the hell else do I need to say

14. Sep 16, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol yah. If you think Law & Order has anything to do with law & order.... you're going to be sad

15. Sep 16, 2005 #14
    Or write you are an engineer making a lot of money at a good company. Seriously, my parents and their friends who have good careers never get jury duty, they always have it called off because they are too smart or something :surprised

16. Sep 16, 2005 #15
    Here's a tip: Don't over-estimate the intelligence of the judicial process.

17. Sep 16, 2005 #16
    Depends, find out what the course case is before committing to really smart or really dumb. But definitely don't try to appear a 'middle' class person.

18. Sep 16, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Called off or dismissed by the lawyers?

19. Sep 17, 2005 #18

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I had jury duty last month. Each state does it their own way. In Florida, jury service is for 1 day or the length of the trial, if you are selected for one.
    We watched a movie and sat around waiting to be chosen. When a judge needs a jury, they call requesting some number of people. The people are chosen randomly by their juror number and sent into what I imagine is a very cold and scary place. One case was resolved without needing a jury, so they chose the number of people that would have been needed for the case and sent them home. I don't know anything else - I was one of the lucky ones who were sent home. :smile:

20. Sep 17, 2005 #19
    If I were chosen for jury duty I would want to go through with it, just because I think it'd be interesting.

21. Sep 17, 2005 #20
    What if you had to quite school for a semester to do it?

But hey, at least it's a job, right Smuf? :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?