Jury Duty Summons: A Necessary Inconvenience?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, if you are a penguin and get a jury duty summons, you should prepare to be bored out of your mind.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I got a jury duty summons today :(

Ok if anyone has any plans to overthrow the US government, or just California's government, before October 11th, I won't stop you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to do that once. For two weeks you go, sit around, and occasionally they bring you in a courtroom, describe a case, and ask if you think you need to be disqualified for any reason.

I would raise my hand and say that, as a zoobie, I couldn't guarrantee I would understand all the nuances of human speech and might misconstrue the testimony. They dismissed me in all cases.

I should think the same tack would work for a penguin.

I hate asian people.

There, don't pick me.

I actually did hear though that if you say your racist, you will get excused. I'm pretty sure I can get a delay though because I am a student and all.

I have all ways wanted to be on a jury and convict some one like Bill gates,
even if he was innocent. :devil:

wolram said:
I have all ways wanted to be on a jury and convict some one like Bill gates,
even if he was innocent. :devil:

Another reason western judicial systems are a great example of justice :uhh:

Fill the form out with a crayon and send it back. Make sure to explain that you are a penguin.

That reminds me, one our school trips this year involves us having to watch a criminal trial...

Math Is Hard said:
Fill the form out with a crayon and send it back. Make sure to explain that you are a penguin.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Either action would do fine. But what's worse, someone who thinks they are a penguin or someone who uses crayons.

yomamma said:
That reminds me, one our school trips this year involves us having to watch a criminal trial...
:rolleyes: Americans...

Come on Pengwuino. Anyone with half a brain can get out of Jury Duty, now I know you're a little underqualified for that, but you might get lucky!

yomamma said:

Be prepared to be bored out of your mind.

Smurf said:
Come on Pengwuino. Anyone with half a brain can get out of Jury Duty, now I know you're a little underqualified for that, but you might get lucky!

I'm a penguin, what the hell else do I need to say

moose said:
Be prepared to be bored out of your mind.

lol yah. If you think Law & Order has anything to do with law & order... you're going to be sad

Pengwuino said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Either action would do fine. But what's worse, someone who thinks they are a penguin or someone who uses crayons.

Or write you are an engineer making a lot of money at a good company. Seriously, my parents and their friends who have good careers never get jury duty, they always have it called off because they are too smart or something

Pengwuino said:
I'm a penguin, what the hell else do I need to say
Here's a tip: Don't over-estimate the intelligence of the judicial process.

moose said:
Or write you are an engineer making a lot of money at a good company. Seriously, my parents and their friends who have good careers never get jury duty, they always have it called off because they are too smart or something
Depends, find out what the course case is before committing to really smart or really dumb. But definitely don't try to appear a 'middle' class person.

moose said:

Called off or dismissed by the lawyers?

I had jury duty last month. Each state does it their own way. In Florida, jury service is for 1 day or the length of the trial, if you are selected for one.
We watched a movie and sat around waiting to be chosen. When a judge needs a jury, they call requesting some number of people. The people are chosen randomly by their juror number and sent into what I imagine is a very cold and scary place. One case was resolved without needing a jury, so they chose the number of people that would have been needed for the case and sent them home. I don't know anything else - I was one of the lucky ones who were sent home. :smile:

If I were chosen for jury duty I would want to go through with it, just because I think it'd be interesting.

Smurf said:
If I were chosen for jury duty I would want to go through with it, just because I think it'd be interesting.

What if you had to quite school for a semester to do it?

But hey, at least it's a job, right Smuf? :rofl:

Smurf said:
Me too. It's also our duty as citizens.
I was just worried that I'd end up being the only rational person on the jury. I wonder if lawyers try to choose people who will follow the rules and decide the case on the facts, or if they choose people who will be easily swayed by the lawyer's charms, who has the nicer suit, and such. :rolleyes:

honestrosewater said:
or if they choose people who will be easily swayed by the lawyer's charms

Bullseye.

Or well, it depends on how the lawyer and prosecutor view the evidence and situation. If say, the defendant's lawyer knows the facts clearly point to the defendant not being guilty, he'd want smart people and people who seem level headed. However, if he knows the facts are showing the client as guilty, he'll want some jurors who could be pursuaded otherwise. Thats one of the ways they look at jury selection.

Pengwuino said:
Bullseye.

Or well, it depends on how the lawyer and prosecutor view the evidence and situation. If say, the defendant's lawyer knows the facts clearly point to the defendant not being guilty, he'd want smart people and people who seem level headed. However, if he knows the facts are showing the client as guilty, he'll want some jurors who could be pursuaded otherwise. Thats one of the ways they look at jury selection.
Yeah, that's what I mean - if they just want to win, by any means necessary. I'm sure there are some decent lawyers out there - I just don't want to guess how many. :frown:

So would you want a trial by judge or by jury? I think you have a choice in most, if not all, cases. Would it depend on whether you were guilty or innocent?

Townsend said:
What if you had to quite school for a semester to do it?

But hey, at least it's a job, right Smuf? :rofl:
*gets out the democracy stick*
Where's that report townsend? It's laaate

What is a jury duty summons and what does it mean?

A jury duty summons is a legal document that requires you to serve as a member of a jury in a court case. It means that you have been selected randomly from the list of eligible citizens to participate in the judicial process.

How was I selected for jury duty?

Jury duty selection is done through a random process by the court. The court uses a list of eligible citizens from voter registration, driver's license, and state ID databases to select potential jurors.

What are my rights and responsibilities as a juror?

As a juror, you have the right to a fair and unbiased trial. You also have the responsibility to be present in court, to listen attentively to the evidence presented, and to make a decision based on the facts presented in the case.

What happens if I can't serve on the jury?

If you have a legitimate reason why you cannot serve on the jury, such as a medical issue or a prior commitment, you can request to be excused from jury duty. However, you must provide proof of your reason and it is ultimately up to the court to approve or deny your request.

What happens if I ignore my jury duty summons?

Ignoring a jury duty summons can result in penalties such as fines or even jail time. It is important to respond to the summons and follow the instructions provided by the court. If you have a valid reason for not being able to serve, you can request to be excused.