1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Got a question with substitution?

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    Using the Substitution method, find the maximum value of

4x-2xy+3y subject to the constraint 4x-y=2

I can do the 1st part:

substitute this into the original equation:

Hope that right so far! but dont know where to go from there? any one could help plz?

thanks ;)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2
    then you differentiate wrt x and equal to zero to find max/min
  4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    what do u mean by wrt?
  5. Apr 19, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"wrt" : "with respect to"
    CartoonKid was assuming this was a calculus problem. The standard method for solving "maximum- minimum" problems in calculus is to differentiate and set the derivative equal to 0. But since you apparently weren't aware of that, I suspect this is not a calculus problem!

If you multiply y= 4x-2x(4x-2)+3(4x-2) out, you get a quadratic. If you are doing problems like this, I presume you know how to complete the square to find the vertex of the graph which, in this problem, gives you the maximum value.

So: multiply this out, then complete the square.
  6. Apr 19, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This method is totally counterproductive...The method discovered by Lagrange is much more elegant...

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    But one would need a rather intermediate mathematical background to use them...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?