How to Convert Solar Lawn Lights to AC Power?

• Thread starter BigBill
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for a way to convert their solar lawn lights to AC power due to issues with solar exposure and temperature. They have found LED lights that they think may work, but are open to other suggestions. Another person suggests simply replacing the solar arrays and batteries with a hard wired power source, or using a low voltage lighting set transformer and cable.
BigBill
I have a dozen very nice solar lawn lights that I'd like to convert to AC power. The conditions, both solar exposure and temperature here in Wisconsin mean that these things run out of juice before the morning. Sure seems like it shouldn't be rocket science to convert to AC power.I found some LED lights at http://www.plasmaled.com" [Broken] which i thought i could use. Any other tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you'd want to change the lamps. Wouldn't it be more practical to just replace the solar arrays and batteries with a hard wired source from a properly matched power supply?

If you just want to use the exterior components of the lights, i.e. the pretty stuff, I'd look at just buying a low voltage lighting set transformer and cable. The transformer knocks down the 120VAC to about 12 VDC. The low voltage wire is cheap and really easy to run. Depending on how many lights and the power draw, you can get away with a pretty inexpensive transformer.

1. Can solar lawn lights be converted to AC power?

Yes, solar lawn lights can be converted to AC power. However, it requires some technical knowledge and equipment.

2. Why would someone want to convert solar lawn lights to AC power?

Converting solar lawn lights to AC power allows them to be used even when there is no sunlight, such as during cloudy days or at night.

3. What equipment is needed to convert solar lawn lights to AC power?

To convert solar lawn lights to AC power, you will need a solar panel, a charge controller, an inverter, and a battery. You may also need wiring and connectors depending on the specific setup.

4. How difficult is it to convert solar lawn lights to AC power?

The difficulty level of converting solar lawn lights to AC power depends on your technical skills and the complexity of the setup. It may be a challenging task for those without experience in electrical work.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when converting solar lawn lights to AC power?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with electrical equipment. Make sure to turn off all power sources and wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling wires and connectors. It is also recommended to consult a professional if you are unsure about the process.