Got a real world problem here

• Thread starter blackjack21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Real world
In summary, after x minutes, the tank will have 500 cubic feet of vinegar that has a concentration of 10%.
blackjack21
Hi! I'm new here and trying to get some help solving a problem I have.
It's a real problem, but for discussion purposes I've simplified it as such:

Problem Description:
A large tank is initially full of pure distilled water at volume of 5,000 cubic feet (cf)
50% pure vinegar is being poured into the tank at 2 cfm
A faucet on the bottom of the tank is open pouring out at 2 cfm
The tank has a mixer that circulates and mixes the fluid internally

Question:
After how many minutes would it take for the faucet to pour fluid containing 10% vinegar?

Assumptions:
The mixing of the vinegar and the rest of the fluid in the tank happens instantaneous and homogeneous.

Please be very descriptive in your solution and how you did it. I really forgot most of my DE knowledge. Thanks!

I only know that:
tank concentration of vinegar after t = (volume of vinegar in after t - volume vinegar out after t) / tank volume
volume of vinegar out after t is the integral of the tank concentration x flow rate out x t

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
F=p*S=ro*g*h=dv/dt*S*ro*h
v=dh/dt

blackjack21 said:
Hi! I'm new here and trying to get some help solving a problem I have.
It's a real problem, but for discussion purposes I've simplified it as such:

Problem Description:
A large tank is initially full of pure distilled water at volume of 5,000 cubic feet (cf)
50% pure vinegar is being poured into the tank at 2 cfm
A faucet on the bottom of the tank is open pouring out at 2 cfm
The tank has a mixer that circulates and mixes the fluid internally

Question:
After how many minutes would it take for the faucet to pour fluid containing 10% vinegar?

Assumptions:
The mixing of the vinegar and the rest of the fluid in the tank happens instantaneous and homogeneous.

Please be very descriptive in your solution and how you did it. I really forgot most of my DE knowledge. Thanks!

I only know that:
tank concentration of vinegar after t = (volume of vinegar in after t - volume vinegar out after t) / tank volume
volume of vinegar out after t is the integral of the tank concentration x flow rate out x t

Please help!

I find it hard to believe this is a "real world" problem. It looks like a standard "introduction to differential equations" problem (from chapter 1).
Oh, well. Everyone's "real world" is different!

Let V(t) be the amount of vinegar, in cubic feet, in the tank at time t, in minutes. The concentration of vinegar in the tank, then, is V(t)/5000 (fortunately the same amount of solution is coming in as is going out so the volume of solution does not change.)

dV/dt is the "rate of change of the amount of vinegar in the tank" and the amount of vinegar is changing for two reasons:
Some vinegar is coming in: "50% pure vinegar is being poured into the tank at 2 cfm" so 1 cubic foot of vinegar is coming in every minute.
Some vinegar is going out: "A faucet on the bottom of the tank is open pouring out at 2 cfm" so solution with concentration V(t)/5000 is going out at 2 cubic feet per minute: 2V(t)/5000= V(t)/2500 cubic feet of vinegar is going out every minute.
The differential equation is dV/dt= 1- V(t)/2500 with initial condition V(0)= 0. That a simple "separable" differential equation. You can solve it by a simple integration.
Then find t so that V(t)= 10% of 5000= 500 cubic feet of vinegar.

What is the definition of a real world problem?

A real world problem refers to a challenge or issue that exists in the physical world, as opposed to an abstract or theoretical concept. It typically involves a practical situation that needs to be solved or addressed.

How do scientists approach real world problems?

Scientists approach real world problems by using the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. This systematic approach helps to identify the root cause of the problem and develop effective solutions.

What skills are required to solve real world problems?

Solving real world problems requires a combination of critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Scientists also need to have a deep understanding of the subject matter and be able to apply their knowledge to real world situations.

What are some examples of real world problems that scientists have solved?

Scientists have solved a wide range of real world problems, including finding a cure for diseases, improving agricultural practices, developing renewable energy sources, and mitigating the effects of climate change. They have also played a crucial role in technological advancements, such as the invention of the internet and space exploration.

Why is it important for scientists to address real world problems?

Addressing real world problems is important because it helps to improve the quality of life for individuals and society as a whole. By finding solutions to these problems, scientists can make a positive impact and contribute to the progress and development of humanity.