Today I was over at my wife's parent's house. My wife and her mom were doing a puzzle on a work bench. My wife told me she heard a buzzing under the work bench. Her mom has hearing problems and couldn't hear it but I certainly could, it was quite loud. I looked and it was coming from a lamp type wire in a box (guess it was plugged into a powerstrip somewhere). Looked like a wire was split wide open and it was nearly sparking. Long story short her mom didn't know it was live and proceeded to flail it around. It hit my thigh and gave me a shock. I was wearing jeans and thick soled hiking shoes standing on concrete floor. I was crouching and don't think I was holding anything, maybe a wood table leg. The shock wasn't too much, just gave me a scare. Just curious what the factors in this shock and just how much danger was I in?