1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Got guts?

1. Oct 4, 2003 #1
    A prime number is a positive ineger greater than 2 whose only integer divisors are itself and 1. A Mersenne prime in of the form 2^(n) - 1 where p is a prime. For example 2^(5) - 1 = 31 is a Mersenne prime. One of the larger Mersenne prime is 2^(216091) - 1. Estimate the number of decimal digits in this number.

Please post your explanation and your answer. No this problem needs no calculus. Got guts[?]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2003 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay it's not my job to do your homework, so I will only give you a few pointers:

The -1 is unimortant to your estimate, so ignore that for the minute:

You can then construct this equation:

2^(216091) = 10^x

From here it should be very easy to solve.

4. Oct 4, 2003 #3
    Kiddo: this is not my HW

This is not my homework. LoL this is a "challenge problem" they give in my college to exercise brain. I got the answer I just wanna see my asnwer is right. 72030

5. Oct 4, 2003 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No your answer is wrong, look at the equation I gave again, you may of made a simple error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?