Exploring Mersenne Primes: How Big Are They?

• Thread starter anil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, a prime number is a positive integer greater than 2 with only itself and 1 as divisors. A Mersenne prime is of the form 2^(n) - 1 where n is a prime. One example is 2^(5) - 1 = 31. The larger Mersenne prime 2^(216091) - 1 can be estimated by constructing the equation 2^(216091) = 10^x, which results in an answer of 72030 decimal digits. This problem does not require calculus.
anil
A prime number is a positive ineger greater than 2 whose only integer divisors are itself and 1. A Mersenne prime in of the form 2^(n) - 1 where p is a prime. For example 2^(5) - 1 = 31 is a Mersenne prime. One of the larger Mersenne prime is 2^(216091) - 1. Estimate the number of decimal digits in this number.

Please post your explanation and your answer. No this problem needs no calculus. Got guts[?]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay it's not my job to do your homework, so I will only give you a few pointers:

The -1 is unimortant to your estimate, so ignore that for the minute:

You can then construct this equation:

2^(216091) = 10^x

From here it should be very easy to solve.

Kiddo: this is not my HW

This is not my homework. LoL this is a "challenge problem" they give in my college to exercise brain. I got the answer I just want to see my asnwer is right. 72030

No your answer is wrong, look at the equation I gave again, you may of made a simple error.

1. What are Mersenne primes?

Mersenne primes are prime numbers that are one less than a power of two. They are named after the French monk and mathematician Marin Mersenne, who studied them in the 17th century.

2. Why are Mersenne primes important?

Mersenne primes have been studied for centuries due to their special mathematical properties and their rarity. They have also been used in the field of cryptography and as a benchmark for testing computer hardware.

3. How many Mersenne primes have been discovered?

As of 2021, 51 Mersenne primes have been discovered. The largest known Mersenne prime has over 24 million digits.

4. How are Mersenne primes verified?

Mersenne primes are verified using a mathematical test called the Lucas-Lehmer test. This test involves performing a series of calculations to determine if a number is a Mersenne prime or not.

5. Are there any patterns in the distribution of Mersenne primes?

While there are no known patterns in the distribution of Mersenne primes, it is believed that there are infinitely many Mersenne primes. However, they become increasingly rare as the numbers get larger.