Focus on School: Not Letting Video Games Get the Best of Me

In summary: I have not tried Men of Valor, but I have played a bit of Call of Duty. I really like that it's realistic. I'm not a fan of shooters that are too unrealistic. I prefer games that are more in-line with reality. I also want a game that's longer than a few hours. I usually can't play games for that long.I'm definitely going to check out Men of Valor. I'm also interested in Rainbow Six and the Battlefield series.
Tatum
or getting it. I am but I'll be damned if I let it destroy my focus on school. In part that's probably why Halo 2 and Chessmaster are the only games I will be playing the rest of this year and far into 2k5 maybe. Sad really when a video game is threatening to take my focus. What happened to the good ol' days when it was girls. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Halo is overrated.

Most video games are overrated. I rarely find I game I can play for a long period of time. I haven't even finished beating Doom 3 and it's a 94% rated game.

Halo isn't overrated at all.

How bout Half life 2. that's coming out next week.

uh oh :S

Halo is definitely overrated. Half-life wasn't though. That game kicked so much ***. I can't wait till HL:2.

Ah, yes. Halflife 2, I can hardly wait. I just recently beat the first one in fact.

I enjoyed Halo for a bit. I got bored fighting the same 4 beasties over and over again. Also didn't like that they re-used the level layouts (with minor changes).

My housemate was a Halo addict... he's beaten it multiple times. He's had it on pre-order for a few months now.

I can't get into a game that's not realistic...hence Doom and Halo don't cut it for me. Give me Medal of Honor or Nam '67 and I'm a happy bloke.

I just got the new GTA. Hands down the best game I've ever played.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Most video games are overrated. I rarely find I game I can play for a long period of time. I haven't even finished beating Doom 3 and it's a 94% rated game.

I also have trouble playing the same game for too long. Aside from EA Sports games, I lose interest. :biggrin:

I don't get how people can play 4 discs of Final Fantasy when the only non-sport games I've finished was Call of Duty, Command & Conquer Red Alert (1&2) and Spider-man with cheats.

Back to the topic of Halo: It's never going to work with Mac, is it? :yuck:

ROME: Total War

That is the only game to be gotten this year. It is, unequivocably, the ****.

I just played Halo 2 at a friend's house.

It is practically the same Halo as before. There's many new maps, and some new guns. You can now use two guns at the same time.

I quite enjoyed it. Although i hate the controllers.

I loved Halo because though the levels and stuff were the same, the AI was always different. Plus there were more than 4 beasties. Halo 2 will be delievered in a couple of days.

Oh yeah. The total war series rocks. Especially Medieval.

well, i thought halo and half-life wre good games, they are hardly my top picks, the total war series rock, i love the elderscrolls series(i can't wait for Oblivion to ship), Cossacks ruled(cossacks 2 can't wait), but i can't wait til H-L2 to come out cause i want Vampires to come out, since it uses the same source engine, it has to ship after H-L2, gimmi an RTS a single player RPG(not that fable crap) or a realistic shooter and I'm all over it

gokul, you like realistic shooter, have you tried Men of Valor(vietnam) or Call of Duty series, how bout Rainbow6 series, or the battlefield series, depending on what you like, you should check em out

San Andreas owns Halo AND Halo 2.

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
well, i thought halo and half-life wre good games, they are hardly my top picks, the total war series rock, i love the elderscrolls series(i can't wait for Oblivion to ship), Cossacks ruled(cossacks 2 can't wait), but i can't wait til H-L2 to come out cause i want Vampires to come out, since it uses the same source engine, it has to ship after H-L2, gimmi an RTS a single player RPG(not that fable crap) or a realistic shooter and I'm all over it

gokul, you like realistic shooter, have you tried Men of Valor(vietnam) or Call of Duty series, how bout Rainbow6 series, or the battlefield series, depending on what you like, you should check em out

Do you mean Vampire: Bloodlines? Man that game is going to rock. Men of Valor is a fun game. Annoying but fun.

1. How do video games affect academic performance?

Studies have shown that excessive video game use can lead to lower grades and decreased academic performance. This is due to the amount of time spent playing video games, which takes away from time that could be spent studying and completing school work.

2. What are some strategies for balancing video game use and school work?

One strategy is to set a schedule for video game use and stick to it. This will help limit the amount of time spent playing and ensure that school work is still a priority. Additionally, setting specific goals for completing school work before playing video games can be helpful in maintaining a balance.

3. Are there any positive effects of playing video games?

Yes, there are some positive effects of playing video games. Some studies have shown that video games can improve problem-solving skills, hand-eye coordination, and decision-making abilities. However, it is important to limit video game use and prioritize school work to see these benefits.

4. How can parents and educators help students manage video game use?

Parents and educators can set limits on video game use, encourage open communication about video game habits, and provide alternative activities for students to engage in. It is also important for them to model healthy technology habits and prioritize school work themselves.

5. Can video game addiction be a real problem for students?

Yes, video game addiction can be a real problem for students and can have negative effects on their academic performance, social life, and overall well-being. It is important for students to be aware of their video game use and seek help if they feel that it is becoming a problem.