Got my PGRE scores. What do I do from here?

• Thread starter WarPhalange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pgre
MS, and you don't." In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of the individual getting into a decent graduate school with a low undergraduate GPA and weak letters of recommendation. They also mention considering lower-ranked Masters programs and the possibility of staying at their current school. The conversation also touches on the importance of research experience, personal statements, and postdoctoral positions. The idea of getting a terminal MS is also brought up as a potential option for improving their application.
Warphalanage you might want to black out your e-mail from the letter

Physics news on Phys.org
j93 said:
Warphalanage you might want to black out your e-mail from the letter

Agreed. It is very easy to find out who you are using your e-mail address.

e-mail was to show that it is in fact me, and not a shooped email or from a friend. But sure, since people have seen it, I will black it out now.

Gokul43201 said:
Couldn't help but crack a wee grin myself. All the best - be prepared to work a lot harder than you have so far.

I don't doubt that for a second. I'm already working my *** off with a senior physics lab, lecture, and doing research + some English class which is only a blip on my workload screen.

But I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy what I'm doing now, even though it's hard and there is cussing involved, so as long as I enjoy it I know I will stick to it and see it through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow congratulations! I am very happy for you, and I did have a big smile on my face as well. Best of luck WarPhalange!

j93 said:
His wording makes it appear that he is speaking gods words. He has never suggested that they even bother to apply. How are you supposed to be an anomaly if you don't even apply and are being discouraged to apply. He has earned his right to "knock down a peg".

Ha, yeah, all that "they will have to create new schools that are worse than the current worst schools in order for you to ever get in anywhere" stuff was a little overblown.

I got into UCI too, but WarPhalange's offer is way more awesome than mine in light of this thread. High five, dude.

I don't understand why some of the posters said he couldn't get accepted anywhere. If I remember correctly, he has around a 3.0 GPA and scored in the 50% percentile on the PGRE. Those aren't stellar credentials, but they're certainly acceptable for some schools.

Someone said that only a third of PGRE test takers end up in graduate school, but that's a very misleading statistic. I'm aware of many physics departments that don't even require a PGRE score. The other two-thirds of test takers aren't skipping grad school because their PGRE scores are too low.

Some Engineers also take the PGRE to make it look better on their application I hear (from a friend who is majoring in mechanical engineering + dabbling in EE).

There wouldn't be as many engineers taking it for that reason if they raised the percentage of quantum questions to 20% instead of 12%.

Congratulations, WarPhalange.

Ok, this really did make me chuckle.

Well played, sir, well played.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
oh WOW! What did you think made the difference? The 2 years research experience? anyhow, CONGRATS!

Wow, congratulations! May your work be correct and helpful to humanity!

Vanadium 50 said:
Congratulations, WarPhalange.

Thank you.