Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Got rejected for being an atheist

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    I just recently got rejected by this Christian girl. She said she couldn't date someone who did not follow God. What do you guys think? Kinda sounded like a lame excuse. (Hope this question is not against form guidelines)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's no more lame than any other reason - such as a man only wanting to date women less than 200 pounds, a 40-year-old woman that that rejects anyone over 30 as being too old for her, a woman that only wants to date men, a woman that only wants to date women, a non-smoking woman that won't date a smoker, and, lamest of all, a woman that only wants to date people that aren't me.

People usually like to date people that have similar interests to them.

I, for one, probably wouldn't date a woman that rides a motorcycle, or a woman that doesn't like hiking in the mountains, or a woman that doesn't know how to use slide rules (admittedly, that last tends to seriously limit my dating life).

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think you're lucky.

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4
    I guess. I'm not that upset because I respect other people's beliefs and choices, but it seems like a one-sided respect in this case.

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    I guess it's a matter of personal preference. :confused:

7. Oct 23, 2013 #6

Evo

It's always better to find out sooner than later, I hope she didn't hurt you.

8. Oct 23, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Religion isn't a big part of your life, so it's not surprising you don't care what other people do with their religious life. Religion is probably a big part of her life, so it shouldn't be surprising that she does care what her significant other believes. I don't think there is any disrespect being given based on the facts in the OP.

9. Oct 23, 2013 #8
    You give a valid point too. I guess it wasn't disrespect. At least not on purpose.

10. Oct 23, 2013 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Would that be HER religion's god or just any god in general?

I'm an avid fan of Zeus and Hercules, does that count?

11. Oct 23, 2013 #10
    Imagine if you got with her. Then what? You can't even do anything ''fun''

12. Oct 24, 2013 #11
    Zeus sucks so does Posiedon...I like Hades better, but Metis is the best, well Prometheus is close but I prefer Metis...

Don't like Heirakles (not much) too- Daedalus, Ullysses and Chiron are better IMO. But Heirakles is way better than Zeus.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  13. Oct 24, 2013 #12

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

:biggrin:

14. Oct 24, 2013 #13
    You might be right: religious differences would be an excellent cover for the fact she had no interest in you. If she were interested, I'm thinking she'd have agreed to a date provided, say, you went to church with her or at least agreed to read some Bible or some pamphlets. In that way, she could rationalize her interest in you to her co-religionists, by claiming she was actually trying to convert you.

15. Oct 24, 2013 #14

Borek

Lucky you.

16. Oct 24, 2013 #15
    Oh Jesus, you couldn't have just lied a little while, you know, for at least a few times?

17. Oct 24, 2013 #16
    mmm...I thought Jesus wasn't supposed to lie?
    o:)

18. Oct 24, 2013 #17
    I couldn't lie about something that's important to her.

19. Oct 24, 2013 #18

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Tell her you're your own God.

20. Oct 24, 2013 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps you should just accept that when it comes to the most intimate relationships people involve themselves in, it is perfectly legitimate for them to FEEL comfortable, including about their partner's metaphysical stance.

21. Oct 24, 2013 #20

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Use your positive karma to reject your next love interest over her not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook