Got stuck Electric Potential due to Dipole

In summary, to calculate the electric potential due to a tiny dipole with a dipole moment of 6.0×10^−30 C*m at a distance of 3.6×10^−9 m, the following steps were taken: First, the equation p = q*d was used, where p is the dipole moment, q is the charge, and d is the displacement. Then, the equation (1/(4*pi*E))*(q/d) was used, where E is the permittivity of free space constant, 8.85 x 10^-12. For part b and c, a diagram was drawn and the distance of the point from each end of the dipole was calculated. The
IHave

Homework Statement

Calculate the electric potential due to a tiny dipole whose dipole moment is 6.0×10^−30 C*m at a point 3.6×10^−9 m away for the following cases.

a) This point is along the axis of the dipole nearer the positive charge.

b) This point is 45 degrees above the axis but nearer the positive charge.

c) This point is 45 degrees above the axis but nearer the negative charge. Let V = 0 at r = infinity .

Homework Equations

For part a) I used p = q*d, where p is the dipole moment, q is the charge, and d is displacement. Then used (1/(4*pi*E))*(q/d), where E is the permittivity of free space constant, 8.85 x 10^-12

For part b) I got stuck on this part, I know I have to use the given 45 degrees, perhaps to find a new value for d?

Im not as familiar as I would like to be with the subject, any help or explanation welcome.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) V = 4.2 x 10^-3
b) V = ?
c) V = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
for part b and c:
1.draw a neat diagram.
2.calculate the distance of the point at which the potential is to be calculated from each charged end of the dipole.
3. assume the charge and the separation of the charges of dipole.
4.relate this with the dipole moment given ( u can replace this in the eqn. u find later).
5.now find the potential at the point due each charge ( remember to take opposite sign of potential for +ve and -ve charges of the dipole).
6 add this to get the result.
** as the dipole is tiny, may be, u will require to neglect square and higher power of l, the separation of charges of dipole or any other approximation of the sort. i hav'nt done the problem physically, so i cannot be certain.

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or object that has two equal but opposite charges separated by a distance. This creates an electric dipole moment, which contributes to the overall electric potential of the molecule or object.

2. How does a dipole affect electric potential?

A dipole creates an electric field around it, which in turn affects the electric potential of the surrounding space. The potential is highest at the positive end of the dipole and lowest at the negative end.

3. What happens when a dipole gets stuck in an electric potential?

When a dipole gets stuck in an electric potential, it means that the dipole experiences a net force and is unable to move freely. This can happen when the dipole is placed in an external electric field or when the charges on the dipole are not balanced.

4. How does the orientation of a dipole affect its electric potential?

The orientation of a dipole can greatly affect its electric potential. When the dipole is aligned with an external electric field, the potential energy is minimized. However, when the dipole is perpendicular to the electric field, the potential energy is maximized.

5. Can a dipole ever completely cancel out an external electric field?

No, a dipole cannot completely cancel out an external electric field. This is because the dipole itself is a source of electric field and its own electric field will always add to or subtract from the external field, resulting in a net field.