Got the theorem, having trouble with the proof

In summary, the person is trying to prove a theorem that they have been using as-is, and is stuck near the end. They say that they are almost done, but are stuck on the last part. The theorem is that if a smooth vector field X is on a manifold M, then there exists a coordinate neighborhood around point p such that X points in the same direction as one of the tangent space basis vectors. If X does not lie in the tangent space, then X is not a smooth vector field at point p.
sambo
Got the theorem, having trouble with the proof... [SOLVED]

Hi all. OK, so I am trying to prove a theorem that I have for some time been just using as-is. Long story short, it occurred to me that I needed to prove it. So, I have almost done it, but am stuck near the end. The theorem is:

Suppose [itex] \mathcal{X} [/itex] is a smooth vector field on a manifold [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex]. Assuming that [itex]\mathcal{X}_p\neq0[/itex] at a point [itex]p\in\mathcal{M}[/itex], then there exists a coordinate neighborhood [itex]\left(\mathcal{W};w^i\right)[/itex] about [itex]p[/itex] such that
[tex]
\left.\mathcal{X}\right\vert_\mathcal{W}=\dfrac{\partial}{\partial w^1}
[/tex]

Proof: ?

Now, it's not that I have nothing for the proof, it's just that I'm stuck. As well, since there is more than one way to skin a cat, I figured it would be better to leave the proof empty, rather than potentially confuse anyone with the technique I have employed thus far.

That said, a big thanks in advance for all the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lets see if it can be contradicted.

what the proof asks, is whether there we can setup a coordinate system around the point [itex]\displaystyle p[/itex] s.t. the vector [itex]\displaystyle X_p[/itex] points in the same direction as one of our tangent space basis vectors [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial w}[/tex]

Well, let's assume that we cannot orient our coordinate system s.t. [tex]X_p = \frac{\partial}{\partial w}[/tex]. Then this says that either [itex]X_p = 0[/itex] (which you have already told us is not allowed) or [itex]X_p[/itex] does not lie in the tangent space [tex]M_p[/tex].

If it does not lie in the tangent space, then [tex]X[/tex] is not a smooth vector field at the point [tex]p[/tex], a contradiction.

he want's it at every point nearby. not just one, so it is probably the existence theorem for differential equations i guess.

mathwonk said:
he want's it at every point nearby. not just one, so it is probably the existence theorem for differential equations i guess.

Yeah, I have had to invoke the existence and uniqueness of solutions of ODE's for this one so far...

I have the proof in a book of mine, it has as a necessary and sufficient condition for 2 linearally independant vector fields to be a coordinate basis, on a 2 dimensional manifold, that the Lie bracket vanishes (i.e. they commute). Can't be bothered to write out the proof but you can find it in the section titled "when is a basis a coordinate basis?" in chapter 2 of "Geometrical Methods for Mathematical Physics"-B. Schutz. The proof obviously can be extended to higher dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I think I got it. The indexing terms were giving me the businsess, but it seems to be all good now. Submitted for your approval:

<proof.pdf>

Attachments

• proof.pdf
    34.8 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

1. How do I know if my theorem is correct?

The best way to know if your theorem is correct is to thoroughly test it with different scenarios and data. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in the field to get feedback and validation.

2. What should I do if I'm stuck on the proof for my theorem?

If you are having trouble with the proof for your theorem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in the field for their insights and perspectives on the proof.

3. What resources can I use to help me with my proof?

There are many resources available to help with proofs, such as textbooks, online forums and communities, and academic papers. You can also reach out to other scientists or experts in the field for guidance and assistance.

4. How do I ensure that my proof is rigorously and logically sound?

To ensure that your proof is rigorous and logically sound, it is important to carefully check each step and make sure that it follows from the previous step. You can also have others review and critique your proof to identify any flaws or errors.

5. Is it okay if my proof is different from others' proofs of the same theorem?

Yes, it is okay if your proof is different from others' proofs of the same theorem. In fact, different approaches and perspectives can lead to a better understanding and appreciation of the theorem. As long as your proof is logically sound and satisfies the conditions of the theorem, it is valid.