Gouy Phase Shift

• Thread starter vivek91m
  • Start date
Hello friends,
Could you please explain me Gouy Phase Shift, i have gone through the wikipedia article and i know that it occurs because of the focusing although i am not able to get a physical picture of the same, so it would be really nice if anyone can explain me in simple words about this phenomenon.

Regards,
Vivek.

Answers and Replies

DrDu
Science Advisor
That's a general phenomenon occuring at caustics. Usually, it is a good approximation to assume that the wave is a plane wave with wavevector given as k=nw/c, where w is the frequency, n the refractive index and c the speed of light in vacuum. Usually the intensity of that wave A varies slowly on a scale 1/k. This assumption breaks down near a caustic or a focal point and the intensity becomes very large over a distance [itex]\Delta x\approx \lambda/2=\pi/k[/itex]. This intensity bump thus shifts the phase of the wave after the focal point.
A more careful analysis starts from the short wavelength asymptotics of the wave equation (WKB approximation), see e.g.:

http://books.google.de/books?id=phb...wBzgo#v=onepage&q=caustic phase shift&f=false

Thank you for your reply.