Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Government does not fund peer-reviewed journal articles—publishers do

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Government does not fund peer-reviewed journal articles—publishers do". That is the (IMHO rather outrageous) statement by Allan Adler, Association of American Publishers VP for government and legal affairs to the House Judiciary Committee last week regarding the http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.801:" [Broken]. This nice (where is that tongue-in-cheek smiley?) piece of bipartisan legislation would remove restrictions on federally-funded research that requires researchers to make their publications publicly available (e.g. PubMed, arXiv) even after an embargo period.

Some reading:
    http://paulcourant.net/2008/09/17/fair-copyright-in-research-works/
    http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6595774.html
    http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2009/02/open_access_the_time_to_act_is.php?utm_source=sbhomepage&utm_medium=link&utm_content=channellink [Broken]

Googling the Fair Copyright in Research Works Act results in a lot more hits, none of them favorable to the publishing industry that I can see.

I made my opinion known by calling Adler's statement outrageous. Others have called it galling. Any other opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Government does not fund peer-reviewed journal articles—publishers do

Simple solution, don't peer review for any journal that doesn't allow latter free publication.
    Or send them a bill at consultancy rate!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    Government research should remain in the public domain period.

The public paid for it, they have a right to the results.

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

AFAIK, most peer-reviewed journals are sponsored by scientific and technical societies through subscriptions or purchases of articles. The publishing companies are sponsored by their customers, some of whom receive salaries from the national governments as employees or research grants, as well as private industry.

I suppose the government and universities could simply publish through the GPO or institutional presses or electronically on the institutional websites, or Arxiv.

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Journals used to be published by individual institutions and were distributed by swaps (I will send you mine each month if you send me yours) long before commercial publishers got in on the business. Then to save money most institutes handed over their journals to publishers like Springer Verlag.
    The journals don't pay the authors, or the referees and charge a fortune - because institutions don't have a choice, then as institutes cut their subscriptions the price has to go up for the rest of them.

The trouble with just publishing online, either on arvix or your own web site is organising the peer review. There are a couple of processes for a peer-peer review system but all the proposed systems are a complex mess of public-private key signatures and web of trust mechanisms (you would think they had been designed by committees of academics).
    But the alternative is just to trust the paper based on the institute, so any paper with a .mit.edu or cam.ac.uk is correct and anything with .gmail.com is rejected.

7. Feb 12, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This isn't a question of the data being in the public domain, it's the published paper - which is owned by the journal who spent money on editing it, typesetting it, checking/refereeing it and finaly prinitng and distributing it.
    As an example the presidents speech is in the public domain - but the broadcast is owned by the TV station.

In the US most non-classified government data is freely available, eg map data from USGS. In the UK it has to be paid for (and is very expensive) this means that the taxpayer saves money, the mapping agency actually makes a profit, and the data is higher qulity.

But it stifles business and innovation - somethign like Google Earth or streetmap wouldn't have been possible in the UK. Ironically the reason it is now is that the official data is so expensive that a number of companies have mapped it themselves.

8. Feb 12, 2009 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well the two biggies are Springer and Elsevier (Reed-Elsevier). There is also Kluwer, which may have an affiliation with Springer, and there's Pearson.

Fortunately there are still some university presses, e.g. Cambridge UP, Oxford UP, Harvard UP, Princeton UP, UChicago P, . . . . which are still independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook